Search for content in message boards

Preferred census entry for Second site?

Replies: 9

Re: Preferred census entry for Second site?

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 8:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear John,
Thank you for your reply and explanation. You are right that I have SS set to exclude the living. But I havent got as far as wanting to show witnesses on the census entry for the Head of House. I am in the very early stages of exploring SS and am using one individual who lived 1897-1942 as a guinea pig to teach myself SS. My assumtion is that if I can get one individual right, I can sort out everyone else.

To date I have used TMG for research only, so my first task was to tidy up his TMG record and use sentences to get a narrative individual report in TMG.
I then generated a default SS report and found the census entry (role of son in his father’s 1901 census) missing. That was why I asked if SS handles roles etc.

If I may, I’d like ask about some of the differences between the TMG and SS reports I generated.
The indivdual narrative report in TMG is currently just about what I want, though, as in SS, I have some extra commas in the loactions fields:-
Albert Victor Haigh (38) was born on 5 Nov 1897 at Horbury Road, Ossett, Yorkshire. , , He was known as Victor (38) in the family. He was listed as a son in the household of Walter Haigh (7) and Emily Moss (6) in the 1901 census at Horbury Rd, Ossett, Yorkshire. Between 1914 and 1918 during World War 1, according to his sister Dorothy, he served in the artillery. He returned but did not get on with the family and moved as far away as possible, first to Penzance and later to Plymouth. He was an amateur actor with the Penzance Players. There is a photo of him in costume and an engraved pewter mug presented to him by the Players, possibly as a leaving present in 1938 at Penzance, Cornwall.
He died on 21 Mar 1941 at Midland Bank, Bedford Street, Plymouth, Devon, in an enemy air raid while fire watching. The war memorial lists him as Victor, aged 43, Firewatcher of 2 The Crescent, son of Walter and Emily Haigh of Wynfield, Ossett, Yorkshire killed on 21 March 1941, at the Midland Bank, Bedford Street. , He was buried in 1941 at Civilian War Dead Burial, Plymouth, Devon.
Research notes
No baptism record found in Ossett Library when CCW located others.
His war record 1914-1918 has not been found on the PRO pension database.

The following is the SS output(plus the photo which is fine) with everything at default except places set to four fields to omit the country.

Albert Victor Haigh was born on 5 November 1897 at Horbury Road, Ossett, Yorkshire, .1,2,3 He was the son of Walter Haigh and Emily Moss. Albert Victor Haigh also went by the name of Victor in the family. He began military service between 1914 and 1918 during World War 1, according to his sister Dorothy, he served in the artillery. He returned but did not get on with the family and moved as far away as possible, first to Penzance and later to Plymouth. He was an amateur actor with the Penzance Players. There is a photo of him in costume and an engraved pewter mug presented to him by the Players, possibly as a leaving present in 1938 at Penzance, Cornwall, . He died on 21 March 1941 at Bedford Street, Plymouth, Devon, , at age 43; in an enemy air raid while fire watching. The war memorial lists him as Victor, aged 43, Firewatcher of 2 The Crescent, son of Walter and Emily Haigh of Wynfield, Ossett, Yorkshire killed on 21 March 1941, at the Midland Bank, Bedford Street.4,5 He was buried in 1941 at Plymouth, Devon, .5 He Research notes
No baptism record found in Ossett Library when CCW located others.
His war record 1914-1918 has not been found on the PRO pension database.

As you can see, the census entry is not there. His siblings also lack the 1901 census entries (their father's entry) at which they were sons.
Apart from that I have not mastered several things in SS.
In the nickname tag, SS inserts “also” known as Victor. Whereas I use the tag to show that the person’s second forename was the one he was known by, i.e. This was “Uncle Victor”.
SS has lost the carriage return at the end of the burial tag and before the research Notes.
And I have an extraneous pronoun “He” before my research notes “Note” tag.
The punctuation has an extra ; after the date, and even though I set SS not to show the country, I have not got rid of the extra commas by empty location fields.

I am hoping to get Albert Victor Haigh’s SS entry perfect and to understand how to use SS. Once I have him right, I can save the Style and set everyone else up in TMG exactly the same.

I'd be glad of any further guidance or suggestions.

PS My husband is very glad SS can be set for UK English but I havent done that yet.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
eandcw 14 Aug 2007 6:50PM GMT 
jcardinal 14 Aug 2007 8:46PM GMT 
eandcw 15 Aug 2007 2:10PM GMT 
eandcw 15 Aug 2007 3:45PM GMT 
Terry Reigel 15 Aug 2007 3:57PM GMT 
jcardinal 15 Aug 2007 8:57PM GMT 
eandcw 15 Aug 2007 9:24PM GMT 
eandcw 17 Aug 2007 5:54PM GMT 
jcardinal 17 Aug 2007 6:50PM GMT 
eandcw 20 Aug 2007 12:33PM GMT 
per page