Search for content in message boards

old value of Brother's Keeper

Replies: 5

Re: old value of Brother's Keeper

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hmm. I'm not seeing anything special or different about the needs for somebody in Australia vs any place else in regards to genealogy programming.

BK can create the standard reports (desendent, ancestor, register, etc) like other programs.

It can auto generate family group sheets in html, including the notes (stories, etc) created for the various events / facts. That report can include one photo per group sheet.

I'm not sure if Any program can really easily auto generate a mini magazine.

What I have done is create a web site, partially from BKs auto generated html family group sheets and partially by hand. I copy the entire site to CD along with an auto executable and mail it.

The auto generated part contains up to date facts, notes and stories about everybody in the database. The hand generated part contains the photos of people.

The problem I've seen with sharing info is what happens when you add a fact to a dozen or so people. With the auto generated html, that fact is published faily easily, albeit not in a very pretty method.

Trying to put out a magazine would mean re-formatting, re-editing or such to add in what is often a few lines of often not critical facts such as they lived in Perth during WWII before moving to a suburb of Perth after the war.

In summary, will BK do what you want? Sort of. Will any program do it better? I don't think so.

BK does have a significant advantage over other programs. The programmer runs a mailing list via rootsweb. He has been very willing to add new types of reports to extract data from the database.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
autosense1 21 Jul 2009 4:56AM GMT 
JIM DELL 11 Aug 2009 3:21PM GMT 
sailortech 12 Aug 2009 4:00PM GMT 
autosense1 13 Aug 2009 4:32AM GMT 
sailortech 13 Aug 2009 10:56AM GMT 
autosense1 14 Aug 2009 4:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic