Search for content in message boards

I need a really good map of towns in Mayo -- URL anybody?

Replies: 13

Re: I need a really good map of towns in Mayo -- URL anybody?

Posted: 5 Dec 2010 8:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
You will not find townlands on a regualar map. There is a series of maps put out by the Irish tourist board which has them. I am having a "senior" moment and can't recall the name of the series but will get back to you on it. There are several for each county. When I purchased a few about 5 yrs. ago at the Westport Irish Tourist Board shop each map was about 38 Euros. I believe you can buy them on line.
If you GOOGLE County Mayo towns, you may be able to figure out where your particular townlands are.
Towns i.e. Westport have street names but in the countryside it is routes and larger roads are N with a number (example N11 which we take from Dublin down to Wexford to visit family) or N5 which is in the Castlebar area of County Mayo. Also, some townlands have had name changes over the years. My maternal family townland was Streamstown but now is generally known as Belclare.
Townlands can be very small with only a few acres and then there are some which actually are a larger village.
The townlands you listed are the ones you are seeking?? If so I will try to check out and get back to you.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
snac175 5 Dec 2010 10:57PM GMT 
maryellencham... 5 Dec 2010 3:49PM GMT 
maryellencham... 5 Dec 2010 3:54PM GMT 
maryellencham... 5 Dec 2010 7:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic