Search for content in message boards

Help with Immigration from Lithuania

Replies: 7

Help with Immigration from Lithuania

Posted: 2 May 2012 10:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Teiberis, Gerlites, Kozlouskas, Shatutuis
Hello, I am looking for my great grandparents, Jonas Teiberis and Isabel Kazlauskiute. I believe my great grandfather was from Vilnius but unsure about my great grandmother. They both settled in Grand Rapids, MI. in the early 1900s. Current spelling is Taber.

Also, I believe that I have found the ship documents regarding when Jonas came over. I found two coming into St Albans, VT from Canada and one on a German ship. There is a possibility they are not his as his census records are conflicted about when he emigrated (either 1890 or 1902). His parents were possibly named George Teiberis and Mary Gerlites (my great aunt wrote these down on a piece of paper but she has since passed).

I have not found any records regarding my great grandmother other than listed on the census and city directory pages along with Jonas (John). We also have some family papers that show the baptism dates of their children and there are multiple spellings for her first and last name. The spelling I used above is the one used most often but in another handwritten note from a great aunt, she spelled the last name the same as Isabel's father: Peter Kozlouskas. I have her mother's name as Anne Shatutuis. According to census records, Isabel came over in 1906. Both she and Jonas were naturalized in 1914 (according to census data) but have been unable to locate the paperwork.

Any help on trying to find out where they came from in Lithuania, how to locate possible passage (particularly for Isabel), naturalization papers, spelling variations, etc would be appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Tabe... 2 May 2012 4:19PM GMT 
ace2207 11 May 2012 12:45AM GMT 
Jennifer Tabe... 11 May 2012 12:20PM GMT 
LHSwisher 14 May 2012 1:36AM GMT 
Jennifer Tabe... 14 May 2012 7:46PM GMT 
skvesta 15 May 2012 12:39AM GMT 
LHSwisher 16 May 2012 4:06AM GMT 
Jennifer Tabe... 16 May 2012 11:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic