Search for content in message boards

Australian experiences...

Replies: 14

Australian experiences...

Darlene Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thornton, Pallier, Woods, Turner, Waterworth, Eggleston, Morris, Bulmer, Madden, Thorn, Long, Boggs, Humphries, Finkelstein, Stein, Jacobson, Clarke, Tucker, Solomon, Bray, Stathis, Avery, Bonnker, Darton, Collins
After reading every postings on this, I went "wow". I sometimes have some sort of experiences, which only occurs when I don't try too hard in finding the data I needed. I remembered when I was only 17 (I was into genealogy since I was 11 years old), my mum and I was driving out in the countryside for my school photography course. I was taking photos around the old houses, churches, etc and I happened to asked mum to stop by at a church (Cobbitty - about 1 and half hour southwest from Sydney). There I liked the old church and loved the surroundings, such a lovely valley and country town - we were walking around the church and realised there were graves at the back and side of church. So to stretch our legs, we were looking at those graves, commented about how short or long those lives were, I suddenly saw "Pallier, Joseph". Hey I asked my mum isnt that familiar name? My mum confirmed as she have been helping me out with genealogy. Pallier have been the most difficult family to trace to this date - my grandmother (who is still alive - passing her 80th now) kept telling me that they used to live somewhere south but never knew exactly where. So with this I was able to ask my great uncle more questions before he passed away a couple of years ago. The surname, Pallier was originally De Pallier but over the time, the De part was dropped - from France then to England and now into Australia. Still on Pallier - I have been searching for Pallier on the internet but with no luck as I felt that I am the only one who is searching for this family around the world! Today I went to my local library which has a family history section, and looked into a book and found a entry on Pallier from a person in Western Australia! The only one entry! I plans to write to this person and find out more.

I felt that there are 'people' out there helping us go to the right documents, but sometimes I think they are having fun putting us thru the longest, rough road first before finding the 'gold'!

I do hope there will be more coming for me especially on my other family surnames!

Keep this postings coming in! We need those to realise something we might have not noticed back then but hoping for a second chance at it.

Cheers,
Darlene from Down Under.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Darlene Thornton 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Jenny_tomlins... 8 Sep 2006 12:13AM GMT 
gronnk 26 Dec 2006 11:33AM GMT 
caliope47 11 Nov 2007 1:32PM GMT 
palliaerantiq... 22 Apr 2008 3:40AM GMT 
Debbell15 6 Aug 2008 7:40AM GMT 
caliope47 6 Aug 2008 10:08AM GMT 
Debbell15 7 Aug 2008 7:06AM GMT 
caliope47 7 Aug 2008 10:43PM GMT