Search for content in message boards

Looking for descendants of Joanna Kellogg of Kahnawake

Replies: 1

Looking for descendants of Joanna Kellogg of Kahnawake

Posted: 1236317936000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1236489291000
Surnames: Kellogg, Ashley

In 1704, the Mohawks raided the town of Deerfield,Mass. In that raid Joanna Kellogg, and her brothers and sister, and her father were captured and taken to Kahnawake. Shortly thereafter, her father, Martin Kellogg Sr. was released. She and her two brothers, Joseph and Martin Jr, as well as her younger sister Rebecca remained in Kahnawake. A few years later, Martin Jr, and Joseph were released, but Rebecca and Joanna remained, as they had by that time had become grown women and had married into the Kahnawake Mohawks. Rebecca eventually returned when she was well into her 30's,and accounts record her returning with a Native man and boy, which I assume were her husband and son. Joanna never returned, and lived the remainder of her life with the Mohawks.(See attached copy of account)Does anyone know of the descendants of these two relatives of mine; who they are, and where they are now? I truly would like to find them and establish contact.

*"Joseph Kellogg's mother escaped with her life, but her youngest child, Jonathan (born 1698), was killed in the Deerfield raid. Martin Kellogg, Joseph's father, was permitted to return to Massachusetts about 1706. Martin Jr. escaped his captors in May, 1705, was recaptured in 1708, later freed, and, in 1714, helped to effect Joseph's release. The Kellogg sisters "went native": Joanna, nine years old when captured, later married an Indian chief and returned only in old age to visit Martin Jr. in Massachusetts. Rebecca (born 1695) lived with Indians until 1728 when Joseph, "with much persuasion," brought her with an Indian man and boy with whom she lived to Massachusetts. In 1744 she married Benjamin Ashley, teacher in the Stockbridge school, where she acted as interpreter." See Hopkins, The Kelloggs, passim.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Teresa McCall 1236317936000 
allysoda 1485589960000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic