Search for content in message boards

Brandon Cemetery in Michigantown, IN

Replies: 4

Brandon Cemetery in Michigantown, IN

Posted: 1389645371000
Classification: Query

Brandon Cemetery is located on a farmland in Michigantown, IN. If I'm I'm right it is on section 28. It is about 1 mile west of downtown of Michigantown. It was owned first by the Whitemans between 1830 into the late 1860's. Absalom Brandon bought that land and the cemetery on it from Henry Whiteman son of John Whiteman, hence it is known as Brandon Cemtery.

This cemetery is was family cemetery. It has the Whitemans, Kellys, Popejoys twins and their families on it and others too. Getting to my point Brandon Cemetery was named AFTER Absalom Brandon and he bought it in the late 1860's.

However, there was at least 30 people was buried there BEFORE Absalom Brandon bought that cemetery. I wonder does anyone know the name of the cemetery before it was named Brandon Cemetery? Or if it had any name befroe it was name Brandon Cemetery?

The reason why I'm asking this is becuase the Whitemans, Kellys, and Popejoy twins were part Native Ameicans and John Whiteman was full blooded Native American. I was guessing that since they owned that land, then they would had a name for that cemetery.

Plus, I was informed that the Popejoy twins was bured in a Indian Cemetery, yes there is an Indian Cemetery south of Clinton County, IN. But, I come to find out that the Popejoy Twins is buried in Brandon Cemetery. So this cemetery was probably known as an Indian Cemetery in earlier years because of Native Americans buried there.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gmillerjw 1389645371000 
kumeyaayindia... 1390331967000 
gmillerjw 1391176001000 
vclarke65 1403904959000 
gmillerjw 1403965618000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic