Search for content in message boards

Jack ROBINSON - Free person of color in Charleston, SC circa 1800-1851

Replies: 0

Jack ROBINSON - Free person of color in Charleston, SC circa 1800-1851

Posted: 1459448272000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robinson, Gadsden, Holmes, Hatch
I am looking for anyone that might have information on Jack ROBINSON, a free person of color that lived in Charleston. He is said to have been born free, and was a shoemaker.

I have checked Charleston's free person of color tax capitation books, city directories and the census records and have not found anyone by that name.

However, I have found the following records that document his existence:
- Feb 1831 Bill of sale: Jack purchases Charlot, 18 months old from Mary M. HATCH
- June 1851 Letters testamentary and administration bond filed for the estate of Jack Robinson, a free person of color, who died intestate
- June 12, 1851 - estate inventory listing Charlotte, Mary and Aaron
- June 1851 Bill of sale: the administrator of estate of Jack Robinson sold Charlotte, age 22, and her two Children Mary, 6, and Aaron 13 months to James Wm GADSDEN.

I believe that Charlotte must have been his daughter. I don't know who her mother is but it seems likely that she was also owned by Mary M. HATCH. Jack apparently dies in or before 1851, and Charlotte is sold back into slavery. I know that Jack fathered Scott or Scotland ROBINSON around 1849-50 with a woman known as Juno or Julia that was owned by John L. HOLMES and his wife Rebecca GADSDEN HOLMES.

Find a board about a specific topic