Search for content in message boards

"Spanish Cajun" or what?

Replies: 14

Re: "Spanish Cajun" or what?

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 5:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gonzales Castro Falcon Suarez Rodriguez Nunez Delgado Romero Segura Ourso Ravelo Gomez Silva Ruiz Sanchez Marrero Gutierrez Guzman
Thank you for posting this very helpful and interesting info on the Sephardic Jews of Louisiana!

I too, have done much research on the Sephardim. I have Spanish-Jewish ancestry from Louisiana.

You had mentioned most name that end with "es or ez" classify a possibly Sephardic-Jewish surname. And that's very true! I've done studies on my Eanes family, which is a Sephardic-Jewish name from Portugal.

I believe much of New Spain (Louisiana including) was a place of opportunity for the Sephardic Jew of Spain who were looking for a new land to settle.

It seems many of my Spanish family names were descendants of the Conversos who converted from Judaism to Catholism. Some though remained secret Judaist beliefs at heart.

I know my grandmother was a devout Catholic. But, most likely her family back to the Inquisition was forced to adopt the Catholic faith or die. For this reason, many Sephardic to this day are Catholic.

I have Judeo-Spanish ancestry that dates back to the Canary Islanders, Islenos. I've heard that the Falcon family, (my 3rd g-grandmother) was a Converso family.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
poolemanus 17 Oct 2001 2:34PM GMT 
marshaladner 18 Oct 2001 2:54AM GMT 
paullleblanc 22 Jul 2002 5:46PM GMT 
derekeanes 31 Mar 2012 11:30AM GMT 
fburnett1964 30 Aug 2014 10:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic