Search for content in message boards

Am I over-sensitive to this?

Replies: 89

Re: Am I over-sensitive to this?

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 11:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, I have gotten lots of help from people through message boards. An unrelated person in Norway sent me 5 generations, and it is accurate. I also believe that if you only use Ancestry, you are not really doing genealogy. You need to know about all of the free (and other subscription) sites to round out the full picture. I help a lot of people on the message boards, and I try to steer them to the sites I use, so they can use them in further research. I used Ancestry.ca extensively for my Ontario vital records, and it was much cheaper and quicker than going through the family history library. However, if I didn't already have a basic outline of my family and where in Ontario they lived, I would have not found them very easily on Ancestry, due to the atrocious indexing by people whose first language is not English. I just found a tree online where someone had attached my relative from Thessalon Ontario to their family in New Jersey - funny how she had two sets of children born in the same time frame. The giveaway to the "floating leaf" is that the person had her death place as "Pessalon" Ontario, just like it was transcribed. I guess you don't need to read the actual document, just attach it to your tree.
Okay, time to get off my soapbox and mow the lawn!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SWILLIAMSON12... 1 Mar 2012 12:44AM GMT 
WVa_Memories 1 Mar 2012 12:50AM GMT 
WVa_Memories 1 Mar 2012 12:52AM GMT 
cormack196 2 Mar 2012 7:12AM GMT 
ebwalkenbak 4 Apr 2012 12:58AM GMT 
MikeyCarole 4 Apr 2012 10:31PM GMT 
barbdale_1 14 Apr 2012 6:25AM GMT 
WVa_Memories 14 Apr 2012 1:06PM GMT 
mbmjlm 14 Apr 2012 3:26PM GMT 
barbdale_1 14 Apr 2012 5:07PM GMT 
per page