Search for content in message boards

Other Users Duplicating Media

Replies: 15

Re: Other Users Duplicating Media

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
"You have spent years complaining about copying"--scwbcm

I scan photocopies of original documents retrieved, and of family photos or (extremely rarely) other family documents that I or my immediate relatives have taken or inherited, such as photo albums (and generously shared with me).

I make copies (transcripts) of documents retrieved.

I cut-and-paste copies of material I have written to insert elsewhere.

I download digital copies of documents found on website databases where the site and document context give explicit or implicit permission to do so, but never from a tree and never user-contributed items such as gravestone photos except in very rare cases (where I obtain written permission from the person who took the photograph). Last week I accidentally clicked to accept a tree photo hint when I meant to reject it; I immediately deleted the photo; this is the only such instance I recall.

I am critical of the practice of clicking to copy whatever from others' trees, or from myriad junk databases. In most instances the criticism is accompanied by context: reasons this is a bad idea. I would not call this a "complaint."

I am critical of the practice of copying items that I presume are copyright-protected, to put into trees. It is kind of pointless to "complain"; if some comment has been made on this practice, it is in legal context and/or context of Ancestry.com's TOS.

I occasionally comment regarding the inevitability of items' being copied from internet sites, including AncestryMemberTrees. Such comment is often in context, such as the site TOS. Descriptions of what site users should expect to happen are not 'complaints'.

". . . you seem to state that copying is inevitable and that nothing, not one thing can be done about it. Do you mean just with ancestry or for the internet in general?"--scwbcm

Any site owner/contributor can decide whether to act on copyright infringement. The matter of privacy involved in social-networking sites and the internet as a whole is a legal tangle in its own right. There are also other legal issues, but in general legal strictures do not ~prevent~ copying.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
frostfreedet 12 Jun 2012 11:46PM GMT 
scwbcm 15 Jun 2012 5:43PM GMT 
frostfreedet 15 Jun 2012 7:53PM GMT 
scwbcm 15 Jun 2012 9:26PM GMT 
jdelauche 18 Jun 2012 4:17PM GMT 
jeffjahn 22 Jun 2012 4:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic