Search for content in message boards

2nd. Regiment of Orange County Militia (NY), Col. Haye's-Eckerson's Company

Replies: 6

Re: 2nd. Regiment of Orange County Militia (NY), Col. Haye's-Eckerson's Company

Posted: 6 May 2011 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Myer/Myers
My 4g-grandfather, John Myers, served as an Ensign in the 2nd Regiment under Col. Hay! The following is a transcription of one of the affadavits his wife submitted in her application for a widow's pension. (Her application was approved.) I used this in my recent application for DAR membership.

[Transcribed by Judith Myers Ahrens, 4 Feb 2011]

"State of New York
Rockland County

On this twenty-fifth day of June 1839 personally appeared before me Abraham B. Stephens, one of the Judges of the said county, Catharine Myer, a resident of the town of Ramapo in said county, aged eighty-four years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on her oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the Act of Congress passed July 4, 1836. That she is the widow of John Myer, who was a Ensign in a company commanded by Capt. Hendrick Tenure, in Col. A. Hawkes Hay's Regiment, and served during the Revolutionary War as follows. That early in the month of July in the year 1776 the British having taken possession of the Hudson River at Nyack and Harverstraw, when Capt. Tenure and his company was ordered out to guard along the said river at Nyack and her husband went as Ensign aforesaid and served until late in the month of November of said year, either along said river or at the Long Clove (?), or Clarkstown, the time the British sailed to New York for the winter with but little intermission of a day or two at a time. As a great part of the company had enlisted into the five Months Service, those remaining had to serve as might be called one continued tour to state the time her said husband served from the time he left home to his return, she cannot but believe that he was not at home at any time for one week, and was out two, three and four weeks at a time, and is confident that he served not less than three months in said year in tours as aforesaid not including the time he was absent from the company as his first tour was full half of that time.

That early in the Spring of the year 1777 the different companies was divided into four classes and the officers of the companies did also take tours in serving in the field and her said husband did serve and perform his full share of actual duty in the field during the years 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780, and 1781, and serving at least one week in each month during said years commencing in the month of April and ending in December in each year except the year 1781, in which year the regular tour of duty ended at the news of the taking of Lord Cornwallis, serving at stations as aforesaid or at Tappan town and different other station in this county or on scouts in the County of Bergen in the State of New Jersey to Closter, Schralenberg, Liberty Pole, and as far down as Fourt Lee.

That owing to the great length of time since the aforesaid services was rendered and the imperfection of her memory of the recitate (?) thereof and the irregularity of the different tours, she found it impossible truly to recite all his services or more particularly to state the commencement and end of each tour and the number thereof, has caused her delaying her application and the foregoing recital thereof is as fully as her memory and the information she has received from men who served with her said husband during said war will enable her to state the same – and the annexed commissions and affidavits is the proof she now offers to prove the same.

She further declares that she was married to the said John Myer by the Rev. Samuel Verbryck on the fifth (?) day of May in the year seventeen hundred and seventy four, that her husband the aforesaid John Myer died on the twenty first (?) day of April eighteen hundred and eighteen – and that she has remained a widow ever since that period, as will more fully appear by reference to the proof hereunto annexed.

Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year first above written –
Before me [signed by] Abm. B. Stephens, Judge
[Catharine signed with her mark]

I do certify that I am acquainted with Catharine Myer the above deponent and believe her to be a person of veracity whose testimony is entitled to the fullest credit and further that by reason of old age and infirmity she is unable to attend court or to subscribe (?) her name. [signed by] Abm. B. Stephens, Judge
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindaLeigh1 9 Nov 2008 3:03AM GMT 
frostfreedet 9 Nov 2008 8:03AM GMT 
Sali Cosford ... 20 Feb 2011 4:51AM GMT 
LindaLeigh1 20 Feb 2011 5:51PM GMT 
frostfreedet 20 Feb 2011 8:56PM GMT 
jamyers196 7 May 2011 3:50AM GMT 
gelder174 27 Feb 2013 9:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic