Search for content in message boards

British Hospital, Valpo

British Hospital, Valpo

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 8:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would anybody know if the hospital records still exist, and, if so, where they might be? I believe the hospital met its demise in the 1906 earthquake, and that a replacement was to be built in El Almendral. I am particularly interested in deaths between 1880 and 1945...

Re: British Hospital, Valpo

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 7:49AM GMT
I cannot help you re the British Hospital in Valpo records, sorry.

My paternal grandfather, Dr John Lea HENSTOCK, was a doctor in Valpo. and I presume worked at the British Hospital. I know he trained in Liverpool but do not know why he then went to practice in Chile. Any suggestions?

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 3:09AM GMT
Hello,

Thanks, anyway. As you probably know, there is no mention of your grandfather in "Old Timers". Sociologists I have met claim all human behaviour is explicable but there have certainly been times when I have questioned this theory. My own relative went to Chile because his cousin was doing very well there. When did Dr Henstock arrive in Chile?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 5:05PM GMT
Apologies for not replying before. I obviously had forgotten to request an alert! I shall need to shuffle a few papers some time soon to answer your question so please be patient

Posted: 25 Aug 2015 7:36PM GMT
Oh dear....I must apologise as I have never got back to you after 3 years! Are you still connected to rootsweb? Let me know if you are and I shall make a point of getting my papers out.

Posted: 25 Aug 2015 7:58PM GMT
It's been a while since I've looked at rootsweb but I can probably find my way back there and my way around. Would love to see what you have. Regards

Posted: 5 Jan 2017 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: Henstock
Oh dear.....I seem to be making a habit of replying at an intervals of years! I hope you are still there.

What I have found lately is that my grandfather, Dr John Lea HENSTOCK, travelled by ship to Valparaiso from Liverpool in 1893. He grew up and qualified in Liverpool.

Also, he is listed in The Medical Directory 1922 - Practioner Resident Abroad - for Vina del Mar and worked at the British-American Hospital (I presume in Valparaiso).

I don't remember the year but this then became the Clinica Miraflores near Vina del Mar.

If you get this please let me know the name of your medical relation and I shall try and find him in Chile, if possible.

Posted: 6 Jan 2017 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: McLaughlin, Mazuelos, Thomas
Hello again,
The following individuals :-
Thomas Morris McLaughlin, d. Valpo 1882; his wife, Maria de los Dolores Mazuelos, d. 5/7/1880 ; their daughter Maria McLaughlin Mazuelos, d. Valpo 20/4/1891 ; her husband, Dr David Thomas, d. Valpo 13/9/1897; the following children of theirs:- James, d. 20/8/1899, definitely in the British Hospital; David William Thomas, d. Valpo 5/8/1930; Mary, d. Valpo 23/8/1945 & Isabella, d. Valpo 2/4/1947.
Cheers!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic