Search for content in message boards

ANAYA & OSSORIO, Panuco, Sinaloa

ANAYA & OSSORIO, Panuco, Sinaloa

Posted: 8 Nov 2007 3:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ANAYA, OSSORIO, GARCIA, MORALES
I recently found that my grandmother, Guadalupe ANAYA was born in Panuco, Sinaloa (1895). She married Pedro G. OSSORIO (b.1884) about 1914. They had three children, then moved into the U.S. (California) where they had three more children. California Death records say that Pedro's father was OSSORIO and his mother was GARCIA. Guadalupe's records say her mother was ANAYA and her father was MORALES. (It is not known if this is an error, or if the mother's name was carried rather than the father's.) Does anyone have a connection with these names from Panuco? I looked in FamilySearch and Sinaloa is not among the areas with records. I would like to find the complete names of the parents of both of my grandparents. Births, Deaths, Marriages would be a plus! Thanks!

Re: ANAYA & OSSORIO, Panuco, Sinaloa

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 8:05PM GMT
I, too, have not had any luck with researching family in Panuco and Copala. I went to Panuco in 2003 hoping to see church records and finally get some answers. Although the church doors are wide open the parish priest is a circuit-riding cleric and is only in attendance about 3 days per month. I found out from the locals that sometime in the mid-1900's there was a devastating fire and all archival church records had burned. I don't know if it was the records for the little church in Panuco or for the bigger one in Copala, just up the mountain road.

I do hope someone answers you who belongs to your family. I have found in my research that there could be a couple of explanations for the switch in names for your grandmother. The American style is to use mother's surname as a middle name and the inadvertent switch happened when her vital information was supplied for her death certificate.

Another explanation is that she could have been an hija natural - an illegitimate child - and she was known primarily by her mother's family name.

Yet another reason could be that your grandmother simply liked or identified more stongly with her Anaya side of the family and chose to use that name instead of Morales.

Unfortunately without the definitive church records it is really hard to track down. I saw a notice that Family Search is looking for volunteers to transcribe the Mexican census of 1930 onto the 'net. They expect to put it on line in about a year. Perhaps we may be able to find more answers when that becomes available.

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: OSSORIO, ANAYA
Thank you for your input on my search problems. I guess I'll have to wait for definitive information out of that area. A shame, really, because there is such history there and I'm interested in knowing how my family fits in. All the searching into my grandfather's name OSSORIO, has ended up with someone named Elvira de O from Spain sometime in 12xx. My family seemed to be less well-acknowledged... I also appreciate your idea that my grandmother could have been illegitimate with the mother's name ANAYA. It's possible. But my family was never good at telling things about their past. In fact, my grandmother, although she lived in Los Angeles 21 years before I was born (the first of her grandchildren), chose never to utter a word of English to us, and we were not taught Spanish. So there really was a failure to communicate! Keep me in mind, should you discover anything from Panuco in future. Thanks very much!

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 4:38AM GMT
My father was also born in Panuco and spoke about his working in the mines as he was a child. Upon my brother going to the church and looking for his parents names he found that my father's maternal parents were listed in the church records but not my fathers paternal parents. My grandfather was listed same last name as my grandfather, again probably due to him being born out of wedlock. Since our fathers paternal parents were not listed, maybe it was meant that we not know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic