Search for content in message boards

VanCamp/Lamson/Dodge/Shaver/Stethem of Matilda, Ontario

VanCamp/Lamson/Dodge/Shaver/Stethem of Matilda, Ontario

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Feb 2002 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: DODGE/VANCAMP/LAMSON/SHAVER/STETHEM/BRAITHWAITE/REYNEAU
Looking for photos and information on James Van Camp and
spouse Esther Nettleton. James born 1798 - children Jacob William, Ashley, John, George and three daughters. James is burried in Mainsville Cemetery back of Prescott, Ontario.
His father was Jacob Van Camp who married Deborah Lamson, the children of Jacob and Deborah were orphaned and were raised by her father John Lamson of Edwardsburgh, I have oh about 10,000 family members in my file but recently found James as the father of my gr.gr. grandfather Jacob William who married Philindia Dodge. All of my Van Camp's lived in Matilda Township, Edwardsburgh, Cardinal, Prescott some born in Albany, some Ogdensburg but the William Tunis family settled in Cardinal as did his father Jacob William. I would appreciate anything on James and his family. I will give all my information for a few photo's of these Van Camp's. There also is a Odessa Van Camp daughter of John Horton Van Camp who married Mary Ann Merkley. I have one tin of John but his daughter Odessa recently passed away and I am looking for any family she may have had. She lived in Cardinal for the 90 years of her life. Any info on Philinda
Dodge would be great I do have one photo of her and one of Jacob. The lamson family will that is another story as I believe John Lamson raised some of Jacob Van Camp's children as his and they were raised as Lamson's instead of Van Camps as they were young children. John Lamson Van Camp b. 1811 may have been James Van Camp.

nancyjvancamp@sympatico.ca

Re: VanCamp/Lamson/Dodge/Shaver/Stethem of Matilda, Ontario

Posted: 10 Mar 2004 7:27AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2005 7:59AM GMT
Surnames: Van Camp
I don't know how to delete the message so i am replying to my own message.

James was not the father of Jacob William but he was the brother. Jacob Van Camp who married Deborah Lamson both died at a young age leaving their children to be orphans. The children were raised mostly by her father John Lamson.
The reason I thought James may have been the father was he named Jacob William my gr.gr. grandfather in his will probably because he lived with him at one time.

I do have all correct names and dates now.

Thanks all

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 10:50PM GMT
As it turns out James was the Brother of Jacob Van Camp not the father. I wish I knew how to delete some of the messages I have on here .... I have my family tree done back to the mid 1500's and would like some of these earlier messages gone and new ones on .... corrected

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2012 3:35AM GMT
Surnames: Van Camp, Knapp, Shaver,
Hi Nancy
My 4G grandparents were Amos Knapp and Rachel Van Camp
or Van Campen. Married June 18, 1800 in Augusta,
Grenville, Ont. Their daughter Mary Jane Knapp married
Stephen Coville b. 1799 in Augusta. Their son Amos Knapp Coville b. 1823 Augusta. moved to Oswego Co. NY in abt 1853.
His Granddaughter Married my Grandfather Edwin S.(Shaver)
Shaffer. All I have on Rachel is when and where she was
married. Paul Shaffer

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 4:02AM GMT
Wow its been so long since I put that out there. I think Rachel is buried in Maitland. Going from memory here. I would like more on the Shaver and Knapp connection

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2012 8:13AM GMT
Surnames: Coville, Knapp, Shaver, Schaeffer, Van Camp
Hi Nancy;
That is the funny part of this...
I am a part of the Shaver family that didnot
go to Canada. My part drifted west to the
Syracuse area by 1800.
I was looking for Shavers in Ont. when I ran across
your Van Camp Posting and remembered the name connection.
There are Knapps in Oswego Co, NY where my Covilles were.
My Shavers were in Madison Co, NY.
At least Nine families of Schaeffers came over to NY
from England with the Palatines in 1710. I have been
unable to figure out which of the families are siblings
or cousins or whatever. Paul
Pont56ataoldotcom
per page

Find a board about a specific topic