Search for content in message boards

Henry Berry 1856- ?; son of William Berry & Elizabeth Harmon

Henry Berry 1856- ?; son of William Berry & Elizabeth Harmon

Posted: 1063312222000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1157610039000
Surnames: Berry, Harmon, Vaughn, Bassett, Lincoln
I am seeking for any information on Henry Berry born abt 1856 in Union, Floyd, Iowa. His father, William Berry was a farmer and in the military; his mother, Elizabeth Harmon, was a daughter of Alpheus Harmon and Huldah Vaughn. In 1856, William, Elizabeth and baby Henry were living with her mother and step-father, Loren & Huldah Bassett. Here is where I have found Henry:

CENSUS: 1856: Union, Floyd, Iowa page 680
21/20 Loren Bassett age 48; married; res of State 1 year; born CT; farmer
Holday Bassett 48 married; res of state 1 year; born NY
Loren Bassett 11 Res of State 1 year b. IL
Edwin Bassett 9 Res of State 1 yr: b. IL
Harriet C. Bassett 8; Res of State 1 yr. b. IL
21/21William Berry 30; married; res of state 1 year; b. NH farmer
Elizabeth Berry 21 married; res of state 1 year; b. PA
Henry Berry (no age given); no residency given; b. Iowa

1860: Rockford, Floyd, Iowa June 25, 1860
159/153 Loren Bassett 53, farmer $100/400 b. CT
Huldah Bassett 53 b. NY
Loren Bassett 14 b. IL
Edwin Bassett 12 b. IL
Harriet Bassett 9 b. IL
William Berry 33 farmer; b. New Hampshire
Elizabeth Berry 32; b. PA
Henry Berry 4 b. Iowa

1870 Union, Floyd, Iowa page 353
55/56 Berry, Wm 43 Blacksmith, 300/160 b. NH
Berry, Elizabeth 42, keeping house b. PA
Berry, Henry 14, b. Iowa

Loren and Huldah left Iowa in 1862 and went to Utah. William and Elizabeth stayed in Union, Floyd, Iowa. Elizabeth died sometime soon after census according to family tradition. No date or further info on her or William.

In Nov 1886, when record of heirs of Huldah Bassett were recorded, Henry E. Berry was lifing in Laddonia, Audrian, Missouri.

He had an Aunt Caroline (Harmon) Lincoln & several cousins in Hopkins, Nodaway, MO
In 1880, an Uncle, Alma Harmon, lived in Holt, Bigelow, Missouri with his family, but by 1886, had moved back to Glenwood, Mills, Iowa.

I cannot find Henry Berry in 1880 or any time thereafter. Did he marry and have a family? Where did he die? Where did his parents die?
Thanks in advance for any help. I have much info on his Harmon family; nothing on his Berry family except his father, William was born about 1826 in New Hampshire.

Re: Henry Berry 1856- ?; son of William Berry & Elizabeth Harmon

Posted: 1164510060000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Berry, Hunt, Bennett, Schermerhorn, Harmon, Haynes, Prentice
Elizabeth Harmon Berry probably died at Union, Floyd, Iowa after 1 Jun 1870. She left one son, Henry E. Berry and her husband, William Berry.

Two of William’s neighbors on 1870 census play a role in the rest of his life. William's next door neighbor, Henry P. Schermerhorn, and William are listed as blacksmiths. Did they work together? They are the same age. After Elizabeth Harmon Berry died, Henry Schermerhorn signed an affadavit prior to William's second marriage to Huldah Hunt stating that he could verify they were both over the age of 18.

I found a record of Henry Schermerhorn’s death on 31 Jan 1882. He is buried at West Side Town Cemetery in Union. [Is this a clue as to where Elizabeth Harmon Berry might be buried?]

Another neighbor, Eli B. Haynes’s wife was Julia Hunt. Did she introduce William to his second wife, Huldah Hunt? Eli was a physician who may have cared for Elizabeth Harmon Berry in her last illness.

On 14 Oct 1877, William Berry remarried– a woman named Huldah Hunt. Both William and Huldah were age 50 at the time of this marriage. The marriage certificate varies as to Hulda’s previous marital status: one says Mrs. and the other says Miss. It should read MRS.

We find William Berry and Hulda Hunt Berry on the 1880 census together in Hardin County, Iowa. Also in Hardin County are several of Hulda’s sons.

1880 Census Place: Alden, Hardin, Iowa
Source: FHL Film 1254343 National Archives Film T9-0343 Page 381B
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
William BERRY Self M M W 53 NH
Occ: Blacksmith Fa: NH Mo: NY
Huldah BERRY Wife F M W 53 NY
Occ: Keeping House Fa: NY Mo: NY
Mary Jane BERRY Dau F W 16 WI
Occ: At Home Fa: NH Mo: NY

Mary Jane was born in 1864 and is Hulda’s daughter by her previous marriage. Henry Berry would have been 24 at the time of this census, but is not with his father. I have not located him in 1880.

I have been able to find information on Hulda Hunt. Her maiden name is Bennett. She married Veranus Hunt. He was born in 1827 in New York to Isaac A. Hunt and Permelia Prentice and married Huldah Bennett about 1848. They are parents of seven children:

1. Charles S. Hunt b. 19 Mar 1846 at Angelica, Allagany, NY
2. Isaac A. Hunt b. 11 Jun 1848 at Granger, Allagany, NY
3. Addison Barum Hunt b. 18 Aug 1852 of Granger, Allagany, NY
4. John P. Hunt b. 18 Feb 1855
5. Irene Christine Hunt b. abt 1858
6. Juliette (or Julia Ruth) b. 1 Apr 1860 in NY [Too young to be the neighbor Julia]
7. Mary Jane Hunt b. 1864 in Wisconsin

William Berry and Huldah Hunt were married at the home of Chas Hunt. [See marriage record: return of license section]. Chas is Hulda’s son, Charles. Mary Jane [who is listed as Berry in 1880] died 8 Jan 1881 at Alden, Hardin, Iowa. Several of Hulda’s children were in Alden at the same time William and Huldah were there in 1880. Her son, John P. Hunt died there on 24 Feb 1882. Addison Barnum died there on 25 Apr 1891. I have been unsuccessful locating William and Huldah after the 1880 census and have not found graves for them either.

Would love to hear from anyone searching these families.

possible Henry Berry match in 1880

Posted: 1167707174000
Cheryl wrote, "... I cannot find Henry Berry in 1880 or any time thereafter. Did he marry and have a family? Where did he die? Where did his parents die? ..."

Here's a possible match:

1880 US Census, Batavia, Kane, IL , ED 77, page 20
Henry Berry, 26 (abt 1854), laborer, born Iowa, parents born Unknown
Henrietta , [36?], wife, keeping house, born IL, parents born NY

Re: possible Henry Berry match in 1880

Posted: 1167710643000
Thank you. I have them as one of my options.

Re: Henry Berry 1856- ?; son of William Berry & Elizabeth Harmon

Posted: 1461854284000
Surnames: Berry, Hunt, Schermerhorn
I have been researching my husband's family history since 2012. His 2nd great-grandfather was Henry P. Schermerhorn, the neighbor of William Berry who signed the affadavit as a witness to William and Hulda's age. In the Harmon family history there was an account of William and Henry not only being neighbors but close friends. Both men were close in age and originally from "back east"—William from NH and Henry from NY—and blacksmiths. They formed a partnership and opened their blacksmith business together in Floyd, IA. William named his son after Henry Schermerhorn.

I know that it's been many years since you originally wrote your post, but there was a response from Pat Hunt, who had a photo of a man with a long beard and other children. I'm wondering if that might be a photo of William's good friend Henry? Henry was married to Sally Ackley and is buried in the Westside Cemetery. I have a photo of Sally and her son Phillip, but I cannot find any photos of Henry and daughters Nancy and Louisa. I would love to see that photo if possible.

Pls contact me at familyhistory@pcisys.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic