Search for content in message boards

Odom family/MS

Odom family/MS

Posted: 30 Jul 2004 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2004 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Odom
I have previously posted to this board but now have a new e-mail address: pattimow@hotmail.com My Odom family consist of: Leonard, Freemon, Samuel, William and Shadrack. They were from the Pearl River/Hancock Co. area of MS. Will gladly share what info I have and hope to hear from other family members!

Re: Odom family/MS

Marvin Odom Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2006 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Odom / Clark
dad had born in friers point Ms. his name was Marvin James Odom and his father was John Odom jr and his grandfather was also a John Odom Sr.,,, had two brothers named Bob and lonnie Odom, were connected to the Clarks through his mother Nellie Mae Clark-Odom and her father Ezra Clark and her brother Fred Clark thats about all I have on Information on my Ms. Odoms thought if anyone heard of any these names might help me get a clue on what part of Odoms am from thank you for any info you can give......Marvin Jr.

Patti Mowery (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2006 9:34PM GMT
Marvin, thanks for your post. I am sorry to say I have not come across the names you listed. All of my Odom family is from the southern end of the state...Hancock & Pearl River counties. I will keep your info in my files though and if I come across any of your names in my research I will gladly get back with you.
My linage starting with my grandfather back is:
Leonard P. Odom, Freemon Odom, Samuel Odom, William Odom & Shadrick Odom Sr.
As far as I have been able to find out they probably came here from AL, GA, and the Carolinas and Virginia area. Sorry I couldn't be of more help at this time. You may want to consider getting in touch with someone from the Odom Society...they may have more families listed from MS. I will send you the address in a follow-up post...after I look it up.

Patti Mowery (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2006 9:49PM GMT
Hi Marvin, as promised here is someone you can get in touch with...She is the president of the National Odom Society...

Dorothy Odom Bruce

dobruce@swbell.net

Marvin Odom Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2006 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: Odom/Clark
Pattie... thank your for your fast and kind responce to my message, took a shot at it but no luck this time. Yes I have joined N.O.A already got a few responces was welcomed by Jimmy Odom by phone, plan on taking the DNA test as soon get all information on it thank you again........Marvin

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 5:18AM GMT
Hi Patti,

I am a decendant of Shadrack Odom, form south Mississippi. I have the line from Shadrack and would love to share it with you. I have my tree on ancestry.com. How can I share it with you and see what you have?

My phone number is 662-291-4548, if that helps us get in contact.

Thanks Andy

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 9:53PM GMT
I believe that there is some connection between your Odoms and my line. I have been searching for a Shadrack
that was married to Millie Breland. there were three sons, William, Richard and Shadrack Jr.I am looking for proof that Shadrack was really the father of our Richard.
The Shadrack I am searching for was a Rev. war soilder for several months. Richard served in the 1812 war. He is reported to have married to Merchant, daughter of a minister. They had childen she died and he remarried Elizabeth Moore Purvis 2nd in 1845-Died in 1854 in Miss.
any leads you can pass on willbeappreciated

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 8:27PM GMT
I have the data as Shadrach m. Mille Breland, children William Eugene, Richard, Shadrach. I cannot prove it either because the 1790 and 1800 censuses only show the head of household and lists how many are of a certain age. I show Richard married Elizabeth Moore Purvis on 22 Jan 1844. I believe this data came from Compact Disc #20 Pin #390272 at the LDS family search site. However, I found another LDS record Compact Disc #41 Pin #482429 that shows him born abt 1793 in Edgefield, SC not Orangeburgh. Wife listed as Elizabeth. Father unknown. Shadrach supposedly was born in Orangeburgh but doesn't mean Richard was.

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 11:56AM GMT
Carlinha- very much like to share with you .
email me at eodom1@cox.net. We are off of the Richard line, if you are interested in that.
Elixabeth was his 2nd wife.
thanks Emma

Posted: 8 Nov 2011 3:59AM GMT
I have some info and some correction.

Richard Odom married Elizabeth Purvis on 22 Jan 1844, Smith County, Ms.
Elizabeth was the wife Of Joseph Purvis. Joseph Purvis died sometime before May 1842. Elizabeth maiden name was COOK. She was the daughter of John Cook. Her Sister Millie married William Purvis.

JOHN COOK DEED, recorded in Deed Book 9, pp 531-32, Hinds Co. Chancery Clerk, Raymond, MS. Transcribed by Reba G. Cook 23 Mar 2007 from mf roll # 9729 in the MDAH. Items in square brackets [ ] are uncertain.

The State of Mississippi, Hinds County. Know all men by these presents that whereas Jno. B. Peyton, John H. Fairchild, John A. [Stue], Levi Bankston & Samuel Ferguson as Commissioners of Hinds County for the purpose of selling the lots in the Town of Raymond in said County & did sell on the 22nd day of [Decr] 1828 to the highest Lot No. five in Square No. Sixteen in said Town for the sum of sixteen ==== dollars & twenty 5 cents to John Cook who has paid the money and is now [dead] without having received titles and whereas the undersigned present Commissioners with the power to make titles to lots previously sold & paid for & therefore by this indenture witnesseth that we L. C Barton & Richard L. Drone for and in consideration of the premises do hereby as acting Commissioners as aforesaid and successors to said Peyton & others do hereby grant, bargain, sell, convey and confirm unto Elijah Cook, Abraham Cook, James Raney and his wife Polly Raney, John Dungan and his wife Lucy Dungan Thomas Copeland and his wife Anna Copeland, William Purvis and his wife Milly Purvis, and Joseph Purvis & Elizabeth his wife, John Cook & Matthew Rushings heirs being heirs of John Cook deceased their heirs and assigns the aforesaid described lot of ground & bargained premises lying and being in the Town of Raymond [aforesaid]. To have and to hold the aforesaid lot of ground in the Town of Raymond unto them the said John Cooks heirs to them their heirs and assigns in fee simple forever and we the said Barton & Drone do hereby as Commissioners as aforesaid convey the title of said described lot of ground forever unto the heirs of said John Cook deceased their heirs and assigns from the County of Hinds aforesaid forever. Given under my our hands and seals the 26th day of March 1836. /S/ L.C. Barton, Richd Drone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So Richard ODOM married Elizabeth COOK PURVIS in Jan 1844. She and Joseph had at least 9 Children and She and Richard Odom had four additional children.

Richard died 23 April 1854 in Simpson county, Mississippi. I don't have death date for Elizabeth or where she is buried. If you have this info please send me an e-mail or post it here.

Elizabeth and her son William Alexander Purvis are in Rapides Parish, Louisiana in 1860 and I have found no record of her beyond 1860.

Charlie Purvis

1860 CENSUS: Rapides Parish, Louisiana; Roll: M653_423; Page: 31; Image: 31; Family History Library Film: 803423; Line 36, Household 226/227; Elizabeth ODUM, female, age 60, born in SC and Alexander PURVIS, Son, age 20, born in MS.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic