Search for content in message boards

Adams adoption Tazewell VA 1902

Adams adoption Tazewell VA 1902

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am desperately trying to find data on my grandfather, known as James Kelly Adams. He was adopted in Tazewell County Va by Sydney Adams and Mary Wilson Addison Adams. They were married 29 Aug 1902 and I am assuming he was adopted then. I want to know who his birth parents were.
I realize a birth record may be out of the question, but my family is certain there was a court record. It was burned by Mrs. Adams as she aged and became incapacitated. The court has been less than helpful, so I am turning to the message board to see if someone knows something or can suggest another route to investigate.
Thanks!

Re: Adams adoption Tazewell VA 1902

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 9:11AM GMT
I am sorry that I cannot give you any substantive info. But, here is an idea that you may want to pursue. Have you tried google for "Clinch Valley News"? There is a researcher that has kindly transcribed many issues of the Clinch Valley News which was a local newspaper that often mentions social columns that refer to Tazewell, VA during that time frame. I am guessing now, but I think the researcher's name is Barbara Moman Eagle. (Not sure on that). I have poured over these articles searching for my ancestor's names and it enabled me to learn a lot about the daily news of the times. I hope that source contains some info that may help you!

Re: Adams adoption Tazewell VA 1902

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 1:05PM GMT
Thanks for the lead. Might find some interesting nuggets of info, if nothing else. Or there might be a notice of the wedding and adoption. I did not know of this paper.
Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic