Search for content in message boards

ALLEN Family

ALLEN Family

Posted: 1467764347000
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLEN
I am looking for information about an ancestor, Mabel/Mable ALLEN. She was born about 1903 in Marion County, Texas. Her parents were Thomas G. ALLEN and Leila Beulah GRAY. Her siblings were Oma B. (LIGHT), Earl Bailey, Susie Lou (STANFORD), Willard, and Wilburn. She was living at home in 1910 and 1920 according to the US Federal Census taken in those years. Specifically, I would like to know if/who/when she married and possibly her death date. If you have any information for Mabel beyond the 1920 Census, please respond to John at jlowe83927@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!

Re: ALLEN Family

Posted: 1467789337000
Other researchers, with similar problems, can benefit from this discussion. Here I go! When the names of parents are known, begin searches for their children on the family search website. Activate the search template then expand it by clicking highlighted "Parents". It is reasonable to conclude most people born prior to 1920 are no longer living. Therefore, refine the search by clicking highlighted "Death". Enter TX in "Death Place" box then enter parents. I usually enter surnames ONLY, at first, to compensate for errors during transfer from paper to computerized records. This process yielded: Mary Mabel Sims (2 Dec 1903 - 29 Aug 1978). Widowed Mrs. Sims died in Texarkana but resided in New Boston per Mrs. Will B. Landers.

Posted: 1467790586000
Next, determine the origin of surname Sims and explore relationship of Mrs. Will B. Landers? The family search website has two dates, (26 Jun 1925) and (5 Jul 1925) for the marriage of C. A. Sims and Mable Allen. The former was the date of license issuance and the latter was the actual date of marriage. C. A. aka Charles Armistead Sims (20 Nov 1886 - 9 May 1970) died New Boston. Parents were James Warren Sims (11 Dec 1860 - 10 Sep 1906) and Frances Olivia Zachry (27 Sep 1863 - 24 Mar 1929). One other child: Willie Olive Sims (14 Sep 1888 - 14 Jan 1976) never married. Small family! I hope you'll reach out and touch descendants? Mrs. Will B. Landers aka Willie Frances Sims was daughter of C. A. Sims and Mable. I have vitals of 14 Apr 1927 - 17 Feb 2014 with death in New Boston. Her spouse, Will Butler Landers (22 Aug 1917 - 8 Jan 1993) died same place. One child with birth record on family search. Census record indicates Willie Frances had a brother, James, but there are too many for me to isolate.

Posted: 1467805661000
Thank you very much! I have been looking for information on her for a couple of years. I have used FamilySearch and usually come up with too many results or nothing concrete.

Posted: 1467812397000
You're welcome! Their census data: 1930 Marion-Precinct 5-District 6-Image 23 and 1940 Marion-Other Places-(158-6)-Image 36. Any plans to add Mabel's other siblings to your tree?

Posted: 1467818027000
I also received the same name from my post on MyHeritage. They indicated that this Mary Mable Sims lived close to the parents and two brothers in the 1930 census. I may have missed it because she is listed as Mary M. instead of Mable. Her sister Susie was my grandmother and my mother was born in Jefferson. Thanks again

Posted: 1467878052000
Trivia! With a current population under 3,000, it is difficult to envision Jefferson as the fifth largest city in Texas? That's ancient history when it became an accidental river port. The New Madrid, MO earthquake uprooted numerous trees that created a dam near Jefferson. Lookup "Red River Raft" that was destroyed by Army Corp of Engineers Captain Shreve (namesake of Shreveport, LA).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic