Search for content in message boards

FTM - One Image - Many People?

FTM - One Image - Many People?

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Apr 2012 2:49PM GMT
I cam across a nice old family photo with 14 people all contained in my family tree.

What is the best method to attached this photo in FTM? What I think I am seeing with my current approach - attach the image one person at a time - then I will have 14 copies of the same image in the media folder

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

What if I attached the image in Ancestry.com, then sync'd w/FTM - same results??

Re: FTM - One Image - Many People?

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 3:50PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2012 3:51PM GMT
At whatever place you are looking for in adding the image to a person, you can:

1 - Add New Media - (add any media your computer can access on your compouter via Windows Explorer)

2) - Link Media - whereby you are presented with a list of media already in FTM and you can add a link to that photo to your person. This will not create a second copy of the media.

The above can be done at:

People > Family > Media button in right pane.l
People > Person > Media button in button row below where facts are listed and above where notes begin.

(You can also add media to a source or a fact, but that is not often done).

Perhaps the quickest way to add the photo is to add via attaching it to a Citation of a Source. Then, copy the link to the citation to the same fact for the 14 people (like to the marriage fact if the picture was taken at a wedding, or you could even setup a Custom Fact for "photo" and attach the source citation to it. Only one pic will be added to the FTM file.

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 9:44PM GMT
Another method: Once you add the media to one person (or directly to the media workspace), from the media workspace, find the photo. On the right pane, where you enter caption/description/etc, click the little person icon. This allows you to link the one photo to numerous people. It will not create duplicates in either FTM or your ancestry tree.

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 11:24PM GMT
Very nice, that seems to do the trick!

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic