Search for content in message boards

Hendrick

Hendrick

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 5:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, Do you by chance have any other Wm. Hendrick's from around Gaines, Kent Co. I am looking for one that was born in N.Y. abt.1827-8. I don't know where in N.Y. But he married a Nancy Goodsell. I do know there was one in the 1850 census listed as a clerk and from N.Y. about the right age. Thanks for any help.

Re: Hendrick

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 4:57PM GMT
Hello
Since you did not get into Chapmans History I went back and this is what it says. Wm. Hendrick b. in Chenango, Ny a pioneer of Gaines. He was born May 5, l90l parents Joel and Esther Hendrick native of Conn. md Dec 27 l826 to Marietta Post born in Harford Conn Jan l6, l807. 9 children born Lewis, anna (Mrs. Selden baley) alonzo C, erwin, Harlan, Livius, elizabeth, Henry and Hannah (Mrs. richard collins) 25 grandchildren, 2 gr gr grandchildren they came to this country in l852 (I think this means Mich) an lived in a log house. they had 50th wedding in l876.
I did not find any other William Hendrick or hendricks in gaines twp in l860 census. I also checked the WMGS newspaper death obits. l9l0 to present and did not find them there but they could have passed before that. Helen Ringer

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: Hendrick, Goodsell
Thank you for checking the info for me. I finally got into the web site by typing in the search bar the link you sent. It was after I had answered your reply. I did find the Wm. you mentioned, born 1801, my Wm. was born 1827. My Wm. and Nancy Goodsell, were married and moved to the U.P., they were there in the 1860 census. She died in April of 1874 in L'Anse, her father John Goodsell brought her back to Lowell. I am trying to find out if they were married in Kent Co. and where he died, He did remarry. I just can't find him. My brick wall !!! Like I said before, I did find a Wm. H. Hendrick in the 1850 census Grand Rapids, about the right year and from N.Y. He was a clerk. When he was in the U.P. he was a Justice of the Peace. Thanks for your help.

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 4:25PM GMT
In 1880 there was a William Hendrick, age 53, living in L'Anse. He was born in NY as were both of his pareents. Living with him were Susan Liquette (sp?), age 24, who was listed as his mistress, and two young children who were listed as "doubtful." I guess that refers to the relationship between the children and the head of household. Is this your William? Sure sounds like him, but maybe you already have the record.

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 5:55PM GMT
Yes this is my Wm. Hendrick, He married that Susan, (2nd. wife), in 1881. I am trying to find where he was born and where he died. I finally found his parents but it doesn't have the town where he was born, just New York. Still trying to knock down the bricks. Thanks for answering .

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 8:13PM GMT
A large number of people seem to have come from Steuben & Fayette, NY to Michigan after the Erie Canal was built. If your only option is to use a "shotgun" approach, I would try those places. Ancestry.com has some newspapers from that area and in one case in my research I found an article there that actually mentioned an old-time New Yorker who had moved to Michigan and came back for a visit. Of course if you find out where he died you will probably get his birth area.

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 8:30PM GMT
Thank you, I have found some web sites relating to New York. I am going through them. I hope something comes up soon. Wm.'s father went to MI and then back to N.Y. and back to MI where he lived and passed away. Are you related to any of the Hendricks? Thanks for your help. Marsha

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 8:36PM GMT
I'm not related; the family I'm researching just came along a similar route.

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 9:11PM GMT
Hello;
I looked at the film with the index of marriages on it from l845 to l926 and I did not find your Wm. Hendrick nor Nancy Goodsell. There were other names under both but not theres. Could be in a different county depending on where the nearest town was in their time. sorry. Helen Ringer Kent co Mich.

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 4:06AM GMT
Thank you for looking. They were in the U.P. Their kids were born up there. I just haven't found the marriage record or the place of his death yet. Thanks for your time. I have found Nancy's father and brother. At least I can add that stuff. Thanks again. Marsha
per page

Find a board about a specific topic