Search for content in message boards

How do I get children listed in their birth order? FTM 2011

How do I get children listed in their birth order? FTM 2011

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am in Stage One of getting ready to print my little book, but I noticed my children are out of birth order, and my census information is also out of chronological order. How do I fix these? I'd like a global fix, not do it family-by-family.

I did find this set of instructions below, but I can't find the "sort children Icon" he's talking about. (Probably because I can't even find Family View)

"That is easy to resolve on the People Workspace, Family View, with the Sort Children ICON on the right of the Marriage Line."
http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2011/12/file-sharing-and-brick-w...

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Suzy

Re: How do I get children listed in their birth order? FTM 2011

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 11:23PM GMT
Suzy

There is no global setting to fix it. It is family by family

The approach is to use the Data Errors Report to find all the children out of birth order. Use the errors to include menu and search for all individuals

Then from this report go to each family and fix the problem by using the children sort button in the people Workspace>Family View. It is two rotation arrows just above and to the right of the children's list

John D

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 12:37AM GMT
Okay. Bummer on the non-global changing, but I did find the button to order them, so that's very helpful, thanks!

Suzy

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 11:03AM GMT
Suzy

Being able to globally sort children by birth order can have unintended consequences. All children with no birth date will be listed behind those with a birth date. As you go back in time it becomes harder to find birth records or approximate birth dates from things like census records. You may find records that give a pretty good idea of the order of birth but have birth dates for only some of them. A global sort would destroy this order.

Curt

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Logsdon, Hunt, Wheeler, Mitchell, Cline
My icon isn't working for sorting children's ages. Is there something that I should do? It worked with 2009 but not with my new 2012.

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 7:02PM GMT
Yes, I see you're right - and not having that as an option probably saved me from a big cursing moment. LOL!

I also figured out that while I am actively working on a tree, I like having the main person I want to research & follow on top, no matter what his or her birth order.

As an update: I am just now trying to see if printing will work for a little book I want to make and print for a distant cousin of mine. It is so cumbersome I am ready to pull out my hair, but I thought I'd come here to the forum and see what other people are doing.

Thanks for the reply,

Suzy

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 11:45PM GMT
You have to turn off the Blended family view in FTM 2012 to make the sort children work.

You can of course turn it back on after you have done all your sorting

Think about it.

The Blended families and the children's sort both work on the same children's list.

So sort first blend second

John D

Re: How do I get children listed in their birth order? FTM 2012

Posted: 10 May 2012 8:58PM GMT
Thanks for the info... took me a while to find the "blended family" button
(right side, all the way on the end, # like button, on marriage line for the rest who seek this)

it worked just dandy!
Thank you!

Posted: 13 May 2012 3:46AM GMT
We need all the action buttons in one spot don't we?

Posted: 13 May 2012 6:40AM GMT
Hmm

The Blended view button is next to the Sort Children and the Move children buttons. All these controls are right above the children's area

I would have thought that they were "all in the one spot"

John D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic