Search for content in message boards

sources and repositories

sources and repositories

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
After finding a major error in my research I am currently redoing my family tree using FTM 2010.

I am trying to be vigilant in documenting all my sources but have come across a problem which I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I am using the source templates supplied with FTM 2010 but some of them have no space to link them to a repository so I am ending up with lots of "unlinked" sources. For example if I use the template for a census, digital images, online it does not have an option to link it to a repository. I would like to link these census sources to ancestry as that
is where I have found my information.

Any help or suggestions on how I can do this would be greatly apprieciated.

Anne

Re: sources and repositories

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 11:40AM GMT
I am looking at the template for "1790-1840 by Year and Location"

In the case of ancestry images, there is a place for publisher and also a place for url, which would include ancestry.com. BTW, if I am doing a source manually, I would add the url, and not the publisher (ancestry.com) if it is self-evident. There is no need to repeat "ancestry.com" three or four times in a source reference.

Both suffice for the repository, which is presumably why there is no input box for "repository".

BTW, if you are using FTM2010 and ancestry databases, why aren't you merging the records into your file and letting FTM add the facts and the sources?

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 2:15PM GMT
I recently upgraded to FTM 12 and have been slowly updating my sources.

There are incidences where Sources and Repositories becomes vague. An example being the image of a birth record that you received from a Allen Indiana's Court house office. In strict sense the court house would be the repository, the County Recorder would be the source, etc.

Or is the source the Allen Co. Indiana birth certificate. Knowing that the office that holds the records may be known as a the Court Recorders office when it was filed, The County Recorder today, and you may have to get the record from the Head of the County Archives tomorrow.

An other example would be a photo you took in the cemetery where your grandfather was buried. What would be the repository and source in this case. Repository the cemetery, and source the tombstone?

I think your have to apply the source / repository terms to the situation not bend the situation to the terms. The purpose of the terms is to assist a future reader to find the information. In the case of the Birth certificate, the repository could be "Birth certificate" and the source could be Allen County Indiana Birth Certificate. In the future to find the record the person would only need to find the current holder of the records of birth and contact that person. The could find that person with an easy google search or what ever they would use in the future

By making the repository birth certificates all birth certificates would be linked. In the case of the photo, the repository could be Personal information, Photos, On site visits, etc.

Another aspect of this is the fact that at some periods in the county's history, the birth record may be a line entry in a large ledger book, and at another time it may be a form that is maintained with the information.

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 11:31PM GMT
A repository is ALWAYS the official place the source is held. The source is the item where you took the data/information.

Your example: repository = cemetery, source = headstone is spot on.

Example: repository = Allen County, Indiana Court House source = "Named" Birth Certificate

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 1:57AM GMT
From the FTM 2012 Help
--------------------------------------------------
Repository

A repository stores a group of sources. The most common repositories are libraries and courthouses or other buildings that house legal documents. Ancestry.com is a newer type of repository that houses electronic documents. Knowing the repository helps you to find the source more easily. Family Tree Maker makes it easy to record a repository and link several sources to it.
--------------------------------------------------

So a BOOK would be the source and an library that has the book could be a repository.

Like wise the Census is the source, but any one of the online sites could be a repository, or place that has a copy of the films, could also be a repository.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:23PM GMT
IF Ancestry is listed as a source, what happens when Ancestry is no more.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:52PM GMT
1) Ancestry is NOT "the source", they are "the repository".
2) Ancestry is a collector of sources, from other repositories.
3) You should note where the source came from, the other repository. In the case of US Census, IIRC (if I remoember correctly) they are also held at the "National Archives" in Wash DC.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 2:24PM GMT
kj_norway comment
Ancestry is NOT "the source", they are "the repository".

I agree with this comment, but further --If you copy the census and store it on your computer in, say a folder, then that folder is the repository

I would be careful of using ancestry.com as either the source or the repository

If you designate it as the repository then everytime ancestry reorganizes their company the repository will change -----to see this look at a census you copied a few years ago and designated Ancestry as the repository and then call up the same census today and you will see the "source/repository" wording has changed because they reorganized their company.

In my case I have copied all my "images" and have stored them on my computer in a hierarchial set of folders and I am thinking about changing all the repository "Title" information to say something like "Computer Image File" because, in fact, all my images are in that repository and technically it makes no difference where I got them from, because if I want to see them I can just look at them and if any one else wants to see them I have control over who can see them

Copying your images and storing them on your computer is, I think, a good idea----what happens if the website, etc goes out of business and you didn't make a copy of your "image/record" -------You just lost your image

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 4:49PM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2012 4:51PM GMT
KMA Said: *If you copy the census and store it on your computer in, say a folder, then that folder is the repository*

I would not agree with you. Unless you own the document you can never say you are the "Repository". The Source/Repository information you are supplying is not for your benefit but for those that follow you and rely on your reasurch in the years/centurys down the road.

One of the biggest problems with web resources is the changing of websites addresses and page locations. This is one of major reasons that genealogists always go to the actual repository (usually brick and mortor) for information and still this information changes location.

Yes, keeping a copy on your computer is good for you but if you share it with me I don't have access to your repository and therefore your sources. This, in theory, makes your work "unreliable". Don't missunderstand you may be a great genealogist but 10 or 50 years from now the person that relys on your data will not know you from Adam..

KMA Said: *Copying your images and storing them on your computer is, I think, a good idea----what happens if the website, etc goes out of business and you didn't make a copy of your "image/record" -------You just lost your image*

I agree 100% with you. Have your own copy, but you are not the Repository.

The only time you are a Repository is when you have an original document that is not available any place else, or when you "double source" saying that you have a copy but the original is also some place else..

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 5:43PM GMT
kj_Norway partial comment

"you are supplying is not for your benefit but for those that follow you and rely on your reasurch in the years/centurys down the road."

I somewhat disagree ----- Say I went to a courthouse and purchased a copy of a death certificate and paid for it with my money ---the courthouse SOLD the copy to me and I can if I chooose just to use it for me and not share it with anyone --it is mine -- and I do own the "document"--- I own all the words I put in it - I own all the records [they were SOLD to me]and since I own it I can say I am the repository

The main purpose behind all this documentation is to "PROVE" [prove to yourself or prove to others] that you just didn't make up the data you are using. [and please don't mistake me -- [I AM FOR GOOD DOCUMENTATION AND PROVABLE SOURCES/REFERENCES] --I spent many years in the scientific world where good documentation and reliable/accurate sourcing is mandatory]

If, and when I choose, to let ANYBODY else but me see the data then I can, at that time, decide to let them see a copy of the record I got the information from.

In my case, I am developing the data for me and my immediate family. I don't put any of it on the internet. and periodically when I "share" it with my family the "Images/Sources of the data" are also shared with them

Also I have no intention of publishing a book/for privatesale/to put on the internet/or any thing else

And I guess when I die it dies too -----just like a lot of other genealogy on the internet that hasn't been updated in X number of years, because the author died

PS "makes your work "unreliable". It only makes my work "Unreliable" [and only unreliable to you] if I choose not to give you a copy of the associated records, but in this case you would have not gotten the data either---

A LOT OF NITPICKING---- BUT IT IS BASICALLY ABOUT PRIVACY OF DATA/RECORDS AND WHO GETS TO SEE IT AND WHO DOESN'T

LAST PS YOUR COMMENT --"The only time you are a Repository is when you have an original document that is not available any place else, or when you "double source" saying that you have a copy but the original is also some place else.." COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MY SELF
per page

Find a board about a specific topic