Search for content in message boards

Directory look-up help

Directory look-up help

Posted: 26 Dec 2011 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kline
Hi,
My grandfather ( Charles Leslie Kline) was born in Texas about 1898 and lived there until about 1932, then the family moved to California. My mother(Katherine Joanne Kline) was born in El Paso on Sept 7, 1930. Folklore is that my Grandfather worked a trapeze artist before going to work for "Kress" five and dime store. I am really interested to find proof of his time in the circus.
Here in Santa Barbara, Ca our directories, from back then, give the occupation of everyone in it. Just wondering if anyone knows if your directories do the same. If so I would love it someone could look up my grandpa, between 1910-1930, and see what it says his occupation was. His first and middle names were interchanged during this tome frame, as I have found him by both names.
Any help would be appreciated,
Gwen Jackson

Re: Directory look-up help

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 7:29PM GMT

No directory listings found in Texas.

The 1930 census lists occupation as district manager for mercantile store. He was 35 when he married Lena Belle born New York.

Name: Charles Leslie Kline
City: Fort Worth
County: Tarrant
State: Texas
Birthplace: Abilene, Texas;United States of America
Birth Date: 10 Jul 1892
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1953359
DraftBoard: 2 WW I dated 05 June 1917
Occupation: theatrical ? for self employed all over US in vaudeville.

His father, Charles Wilson Kline was a dentist mother Lucy Leona Tribble born TN. William Bruce Kline b. TN circa 1890 cahier at packing house in Fort Worth in 1910, brother Roy Tribble Kline born Abilene TX 23 Jan 1895 listed occupation on WW I draft as a clerk.

C W Kline married Lucy L Tribble 22 May 1887 Humphreys Co TN

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 7:34PM GMT
Surnames: Kline
Thank you so much! I did have most of that information, but not the part about being in Vaudeville. Maybe I am looking in the wrong profession, as I can't find anything in the circus on him. I will move the direction I look in now.

Gwen

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 8:55PM GMT
I found a Kline Midway Show that happened in 1910, through Newspaper archives. I can't find any thing else on it though. Was wondering if there might be books in your library about Vaudeville/circus acts that came out of Texas.
Gwen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic