Search for content in message boards

Flaherty/McGoldrick -Gorham, NH

Flaherty/McGoldrick -Gorham, NH

Paul (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2002 3:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on the Flaherty's who lived in Gorham, NH at and after the turn of the century. I know a few have been buried in a family lot at a cemetery on Church Street. Also know a couple of them married McGoldricks who lived in the area.

Re: Flaherty/McGoldrick -Gorham, NH

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 12:22PM GMT
According to The History of Gorham, New Hampshire by Nathaniel Tuckerman True, Thomas Flaherty is the son of James Flaherty and Miss Margaret Coyne, of Galway, Ireland, and was born at Galway, Dec. 1839. He came to America in the spring of 1861 (and) worked on the Androscoggin R. R. at Lewiston unitl the next summer. He then worked on the Grand Trunk Railway one year, then went to Washington and worked for the government until 1867, (when he) came to Gorham, where he has since resided. He married, Oct. 2nd, 1864, Miss Margaret Gavin of Washington, D.C. They have eight children: Margaret, ages 16; James, 14; William, 12; John, 10; Julia, 8; Thomas, 6; Mary,4; (and)Timothy, aged 2 years.
These were found in the Gorham Town Reports for the various years:
1901 Marriage, May 5 , 1901 Timothy M. Flaherty, resident of Gorham, 22 years, Baggagemas'r, born in Gorham, son of Thomas Flaherty and Margaret Gavin,, both born in Ireland, he a foreman, she a housewife, married to Catherine B. McGoldrick, resident of Gorham, 19, housemaid , born in Kingston, Ont., daughter of MJ McGoldrick and Mary A. Cun'h'm (note by Kathy: I do not know what this abbreviation stands for), both born in Kingston, Ont., he a boilmaker.
1903 Birth, March 18, 1903, Margarette L., female, 1st child, born to Wm. E. Flaherty and Elmire L. Foy, borth residents of Gorham, he a carpenter, born in Gorham, she was born Rouse's Pt, NY.
1912 Death, 23 Dec 1912 Mary Flaherty, 34 years 10 mo 14 days born in Gorham, NH, female, single, daugher of Thomas Flaherty and Margaret Gavin.
1913 Death, March 30, 1913, Thomas Flaherty, 74 years 3 mos 19 days, born in Ireland, male, married, retired son of James Flahery and Marguerite Coyne, died of "not known".
This all known to me about this family. Good luck and I hope this has helped your search.
Kathy

Gorham, NH Town History

Posted: 26 Feb 2002 1:13AM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2002 6:41PM GMT
Kathy, I saw your reference to a history of Gorham,NH, that I did not know existed. If it is not too much trouble, could you please see if the book contains anything on William Glidden 1820-1886, wife Mary Jane Hovey Glidden 1826-1892, Pascal M. Morgan, or Albert Leslie Glidden 1869-1950? I would be very appreciative if you would be so kind. Thank you, Bob

Paul Flaherty (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 3:17AM GMT
THANK YOU!!!!

Re: Gorham, NH Town History

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 11:10AM GMT
Glidden, Ellen E.; Glidden, Lydia (Kenson),;Gilddren, Martha Jane (Hoag); Glidden, Nathaniel; Glidden, William; Morgan, Pascal M. are all listed. Here's summary:
William Glidden is the son of Nathaniel Glidden and Lydia Kenson, both of Parsonsfield, Me., and was born Aug 22, 1822...married Martha Jane Hoag of Carroll, NH...seven children, three living...
Pascal M. Morgan is the son of John Morgan of Waterford, Me., and Miss Fannie Bean of Bethel, Me., was born Sept 28, 1841... married Ellen E, Glidden of Gorham; she died in 1876, leaving one child, Josie H., 8 years old. He married (second) Miss Mary W. Lang of Milan, NH, Oct. 29th, 1881.
____
Bob I will email privately. Kathy

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 1:07PM GMT
Bob, Please let me know if you also received my email to you, had some trouble sending. Thanks. Kathy

Posted: 27 Feb 2002 1:36AM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2002 6:41PM GMT
Wow! Thank you so very much, Kathy! You are too kind, Your data on my Greatgreatgranduncle is a welcome addition to my family research file!

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 6:35PM GMT
Kathy, Yes, I received your e-mail. I also used the phone number you provided and ordered a copy of the book myself! Many thanks! Bob

Beth Szymanski (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 5:05PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2007 12:16PM GMT
Would you do a lookup for me in the History of Gorham? I am looking for James Wilson and Delia (Adelia, or even Bridget) McCormick from the 1860s on. Thanks.

Beth

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 1:05AM GMT
This is very late in answering but because you did not post under my message I never got notification. Here the info from History of Gorham, by N.T. True:
James Wilson, the son of John Wilson of England, and Miss Ann Wemyss of Dundee, Scotland, and was born in South Shields, County of Durham. He attended public school and follwed the sea for seven years, came to the Unites States in 1861, and enlisted in the 14th N.H. Regt. of Volunteers, where he remained three years, {and} was wounded at the battles of Cedar Creek and Winchester. In 1865 he came to Gorham and worked for J. R. Hitchcock four years, and in 1869 entered the Repair Shops. He married, Nov. 10, 1867, Miss Bridgett McCormick of Gorham. They have seven childre. He lives in his own house on Church Street.
Here from Gorham, NH Town Vitals:
Birth 1894 in Gorham, NH Sept 10, 16# child sex unknown, to James Wilson born Scotland and Bridget McCormick.

Marriage 1903 in Gorham, NH June 20 John B. Wilson, age 29 years resident of Gorham, brakeman, born Gorham, son of James Wilson, born Scotland & Delia Mccormick born Gorham
to Minnie Peabody, age 17 years resident of Milan, NH daughter of Steph'n Peabody, born Milan, farmer & Nellie Goodno, born Gorham.

Marriage 1906 in Gorham, NH Oct 24 David J. Wilson, resident of Gorham, age 24, brakeman, born Gorham son of James Wilson, labor, born Scotland and Delia McCormick born Easport, Maine

to Laura A. Chesley, resident of Gorham, age 18, born West Milan, NH daughter of Orrin Chesley born Groton, Ma and Ella Chesley born Kirvey(?).

Birth 1907 June 13 #1 child, female, to David J. Wilson, born Gorham and Laura A. Chesley born Milan, NH.

Death 1923 in Gorham, NH James Wilson age 78 years 11 mo 29 days, male, married, laborer. Parents not listed. Cause of death Auricular febrillation

This is all I have found for these persons. I am not related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic