Search for content in message boards

COPE (KOPP)

COPE (KOPP)

Posted: 18 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 10:36AM GMT
I am trying to find the names of the parents of LEVI COPE, born 27 June 1832 and died 20 June 1900. He resided in Seidersville (Lehigh County), Pennsylvania and attended Friedensville Lutheran (Union) Church in Center Valley, RD 1, (Lehigh County), Pennsylvania. I have checked the Friedensville Church records, but cannot find his parents. I found the names of earlier COPE (KOPP) family members in the Lehigh/Northampton County area prior to 1832 but cannot make the connection. Any help would be appreciated.

COPE (KOPP)

Posted: 24 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 10:36AM GMT
I found the parents of LEVI COPE (b 27 Jun 1832, d 20 Jun 1900). His father's name was SAMUEL COPE (KOPP) (b abt 1806, d 1 Feb 1879) and his mother's name was Maria. Samuel resided in Lower Saucon Township, Northampton County, PA. He and his wife a buried in the Friedensville Church Cemetery, Center Valley, RD 1, Lehigh County, PA.

I would like to try to locate records Samuel's parents. They do not show up in the Censuses of 1820 on, although a Mrs. Cope also resides in Lower Saucon Township. I suspect that they may have moved from someone else.

KOPP

Gene Mathews (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Looking for Catherine or Katherine Kopp b. PA dutch country in 1830. Marries George Spangler of Lancaster and Lebanon County, PA. She dies In Will Co. IL in 1909. Cannot find parents for her.

KOPP, COPE

Dennis O. Gehris, Ed.D. (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
ADDED TO FORUM BY ADMINISTRATOR

Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:25:47 -0400

My ancestors were Pa. Dutch (German). The KOPP (COPE) family was from near Ludwigsburg, near Stuttgart in Wurttemberg, not the Palatinate. There is a misconception that all Pa. Germans were from the Palatinate. Since I
posted this inquiry, I have located the names of the parents of LEVI COPE. I am now looking for the parents of SAMUEL COPE, who was born about 1806 and died 1 Feb 1879 in Lower Saucon Township, Northampton County.

/Dennis Gehris/

Kopp, possibly Klopp

Posted: 24 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Sep 2002 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: Klopp
Hi, I am new to this and have been told by someone else that the names have sometimes been changed. Do you have anyone with the name Klopp coming from the Lancaster/Berks Counties listed in your family line? I am searching for Llewellyn Klopp born 12/26/1856 and married Caroline Louisa Beard 9/24/1861. Thanks

KLOPP family

Rick Lambert (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Sharon,

I have KLOPPs from Berks County in my line, but not a lot of info (Most recent is Sarah Klopp, 1825-1902, married 1854 John Reich 1826-1902, then 3 or 4 generations before Sarah). Klopp was not a very common name, so if you are a KLOPP, we are probably related somehow.

I have never seen Cope as a variant of Klopp; I have seen and heard of KLOB(B), KLOPH, KOLB, and GLOP(P).

Lets talk.

Rick Lambert
rrrrrick@megahits.com

Klopp/Klop/Club/Clubb Surname

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Klopp, Klop, Club, Clubb

I have the Klopp surname in my line, it was been changed to Klop/Club/Clubb as time went on. My line moved from Lancaster Co.,PA in the mid 1700's to NC, and from there they scattered to AR & MO. I have a partial family history dating back to the early 1600's, but most of the lines are not complete. My line came from Solingen, Germany and was in that area long before records were taken.
The Klopp surname is from their occupation as "makers of cutlery".
I am sorry I don't have a reference to the name you were looking for in your posting, but should you find further back from there, send me an email and I will check the records that I have available, to see if I can find anything for you.
Posted: 8 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: Klopp, Potteiger, Seibert, Zeller

I seem to be the family historian for our branch of the Klopp family. My mom & her brothers & cousins all were born & raised in Bethel, Berks Co., her dad in Wintersville near Rehrersburg, Tulpehocken Township,Berks Co. this latter is where my great-grandparents lived most of their adult lives. He was Wilson Klopp & she Bessie Seibert. Wilson, born about 1878, seems to have been raised near Millardsville,only a few miles away but apparently in Lebanon Co. ( all of these towns are within 10 miles or so as the crow flies). His folks were Peter Klopp and Fietta Potteiger. Bessie was born in Jackson Township, Lebanon Co., daughter of Franklin Seibert and Amelia Zeller in about 1880.
My uncles recall their Grandpa Wilson telling them that his ancestors came to the Tulpehocken Creek area in early 1720's with the Palatine - Conrad Weiser settlers (and I have found a Klopp in the lists) but I have not been able to get back before the noted Peter yet. So, my goal is to make the 130 year connection at some point. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about his sibs, except of a sister Dora Klein mentioned in his obituary. So I expect any connections we might have would be back at least to Peter or before. This is a family that does tend to stay in the area. It is only my sibs & our cousins who have moved more than 30 miles from Bethel in the past 25 years, in all these generations. Of course, wouldn't you know it, I'm the one most distant (in CA) who gets the family history bug.

Potteiger/Potgieter

Johan Potgieter (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Potgieter, Potteiger, Lodden, Frederiks
In an attempt to locate my family coat of arms I came across "The Potgieter genealogy pages - http://www.geocites.com/Heartland/Park/7152/" this is an excellent site possibly linking to the Potteiger's you mention. A short extract:
"In 1674 Harmen Jansz Potgieter, son of Herman Potgieter and Schwenne Lodden arrived in South Africa. Harmen was born in 1635 in Nordhorn, Wesfale, Germany. He moved to Amsterdam in 1670, where he married Isabella Frederiks of Amsterdam in 1672. Harmen and Isabella had three sons and four daughters in South Africa. Johannes Potgieter (23 Sept 1674) was the first Potgieter to be born on South African soil."

I know this is taking you to the other side of the world but having recently moved to Australia many Australians get my surname as Potteiger so possibly there is a connection. Many Dutch families located to South Africa and it is likely that there are links between the Pennsylvania Dutch and the South African Dutch.

Merry Christmas and all the best with finding the lost branch of your family tree.

surname

Brian Wesley Klopp (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Klopp
Just wanted to give you some info; don't know if it will help. My grandfather, Harold W. Klopp, Sr., 1901-1995, lived in the Tiffin, Ohio area and was a successful farmer and local politician. He raised cattle, and was a Seneca County Commissioner in his "spare time". My grandfather often told us that we are not German, as one may imply from our surname, but are in fact Pennsylvania Dutch. He married Doris (Leathers) Klopp (1903-1994) in the 1930's. My father, Harold W. Klopp, Jr., was born in 1940 and is now a retired accountant. He is married to Eunice (Herr) Klopp.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic