Search for content in message boards

Stokely Moore and Laura Agnes Oakes Wilkinson

Stokely Moore and Laura Agnes Oakes Wilkinson

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore, Oakes, Wilkinson
1900 census shows them in Benton Co. with a child named Mildred B. Sept. 1899. I think she may have been my Grandmother. A woman named Gladys A. Moore had her in NC and placed her in an orphanage in Norfolk Va. where she stayed until 16. Anyone know what happened to that Mildred B.? My Grandmother's maiden name was Mildred Beatrice Moore. Stokely and Laura seem to disappear after 1900 and their children are dispersed across the country. Harold C. 3 in 1900 appears to be in an orphanage in St. Louis Missouri in 1910 which is where Stokely was from. Any one out there know anything about this family and what happened to them after 1900. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Suzanne Gaddis.

Re: Stokely Moore and Laura Agnes Oakes Wilkinson

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 6:29PM GMT
Laura Agnes Oakes Wilkinson was an older sister of my grandfather Alonzo Wilkinson. When I was small he used to take me to where she was buried. Please contact me at Felton96@aol.com
Cora Felton Anderson

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 2:36PM GMT
Stokely Moore & Laura Agnes Oakes are my great grandparents. My grandfather was Earl Franklin Moore, their youngest son. Laura died, Laura Roberts in Tacoma, Washington. I, too, would like to contact you to discuss the family. Does anyone know where Mary Agnes Vanlandingham, Laura's mother, died? Linda

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 8:12PM GMT
Do you have a family tree that indicates what happened to Mildred B and Harold. I think Harold returned to the Washington/Oregon area and Married and Divorced. I am afraid I do not know about Laura's mother. I am just not too sure about the possible relationship because Gladys Moore told tales. My grandmother Mildred Moore Cook did remember a trip either to or from Washington by train and stage. She said the family of "cousins" in Washington could not keep her as they had too many kids to feed. She remembers the house had a full wrap around porch with sutters so the childred could play on it in the winter. My personal email is suzg320@gmail.com. Feel free to email me there. Thanks for responding.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 8:17PM GMT
Thanks for the response. This is a most interesting family. I was taken aback to find a Mildred B. born the same year and month as my Grand mother Mildred Beatrice who wrote that her father was a Harold Moore. She remembered a trip between Washington and Wilson NC by train and stagecoach. She remembered a house full of "cousins" that could not keep her because they had too many children to feed. She took this trip at 5 years old and was placed in the orphanage in Norfolk VA at 5. She said the house had a full wrap around porch that could be closed in the winter so the children could play on the porch. She remembers one of the "big" girls getting punished for some reason. My personal email is suzg320@gmail.com. Feel free to email me. Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic