Search for content in message boards

James Ray, Sr., Haddam CT, d 1730/31

James Ray, Sr., Haddam CT, d 1730/31

Posted: 1104684182000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1105579007000
Surnames: Ray
I am searching for when James Ray Sr, moved to Connecticut, where he moved from, parents, etc. I have his probated will, but can't find any earlier information than 1709. Thanks.

Re: James Ray, Sr., Haddam CT, d 1730/31

Posted: 1207871120000
I also am curious and from what I have seen it was proposed that three Ray brothers came together from "Narragansett Country" and were possible Portugese decent! Rays are semi-prolific in southern New England. There is one tantalizing possibility in that a James Ray is on a Tax list of names from Rochester in Sept.6 1687 which was the combined North and South Kingston R.I. The list was of Gov. Andros, transcribed in Genealogies of R.I. Families Vol.II N-W put out buy the New England His gen. I can't offer anymore than this.

Posted: 1208135451000
Surnames: Ray
Jeff, When I posted this query, all Ancestry.com postings led me to believe that my ancestor Ezra Camp Ray, was the child of Ezra Ray of Haddam CT. I subsequently was given a deposition by Ezra Camp Ray that his father was John Ray of Litchfield CT, and could be traced to Daniel Ray, who settled in Plymouth and Salem MA by June 1630.
Joseph W. Ray in his 2005 book [Descendants of Daniel Ray of Plymouth and Salem] lists 7 Ray early settlers in MA/CT, and says he has discovered several more. In his book, he states: "James Ray who married at Hingham, MA, on 7 Jan 1682, Elizabeth (Foster) Hewitt [NE 1221:209]. He may have been the James Ray whose sons James, Joseph, and Peter Ray are said to have settled at Haddam, CT, about 1710 {SB 4:62]."
"Narragansett Country" may have referred to the Providence/Narragansett RI area.
Joseph Ray has circumstantial evidence that Daniel Ray may have come from a Suffolk, England family.
John

Posted: 1208136261000
Thanks for the book info, I descend from Samuel of James, but past projects I have seen some Rays from Block Island in Narragansett country both slave descendants and whites from Block Island.

Posted: 1488644339000
Surnames: Ray (James Sr)
Has anyone looked into this lately? 10 ancestry trees all have the same information about wife Eliz Boissiere which seems to come from an undocumented Find a Grave, incidentally citing a cemetery that was not in existence when the couple died. I cannot see the Amer Genological Biographical Index info, don't know if there is anything there of not.
Is there anyway to get beyond the impasse? I don't see any reliable info on Ancestry that does.
The will coincides with the info in the History of Haddam (except Benjamin becomes Peter) and the Barbour list does too. Most of the Rays in Haddam seem to have arrived after 1710, with the exception of one born in 1699 and possibly others whose birth dates are not given.

Posted: 1488662000000
Carol,
I have verified that my ancestor was from the MA area, and emigrated there around 1629. I have also had DNA tested, and we are I1d-L22, which goes a long way in verifying that our ancestor came from England. Subsequently, I have dropped any research into the Haddam Ray family. sorry. John

Posted: 1488694084000
Hi John, Do you have a family tree online? I don't see one on Ancestry, at least not on your profile. My connection to the Ray family is via Lovincey Ray (Martin)-Timothy Ray-Nathaniel Ray, Joseph Ray, James Ray Sr. Sounds like the DNA test rules out the Portuguese idea? I am wondering about James Sr's wife and parents, do you have anything on that? Is there anywhere I could view it? Did you see the Amer Gen Bio Index on James? Thanks for answering. Carol

Posted: 1488732135000
Carol.
My tree is maintained under my daughter's name (she's big into the DAR): Ray Family Tree by holberttm in Ancestry.

I've done nothing on the Haddam Ray's since I found that my Ezra Ray was the son of John Ray from Litchfield CT--eventually from Daniel Ray who emigrated to the Massachusetts Colony by 1629.

One researcher says that the Haddam Ray's may be related to the Massachusetts Rays, but until a male Ray from Haddam gets DNA tested, we can't be positive, since there is currently no paper trail.

I haven't read the Bio on James. Can you send me a link at danraydesc@aol.com (that is my genealogy email account)?

Thanks.

John

Posted: 1488780131000
Edited: 1488782334000
I have turned up an interesting clue to the Haddam Rays. In the History of Haddam, the following is found: "About 1710, James, Peter1, and Joseph Ray, three brothers, Portuguese, settled here, immediately from Narragansett. James (who died over 100 years of age) was f[ather]of James, Benjamin1 and Joseph; Joseph was f[ather] of Isaac, Nathaniel, Jeremiah, 4, Joseph,1, Timothy,1, Elisha, 3, and Jacob, 1."

James did not live to over 100 years of age. However a Simon Ray of Block Island, RI, did live to over 100 years, dying in 1737. Narragansett is one of the traditional points of departure for ferry boats to Block Island. Simon Ray was from Suffolk.

I also found this: "Simon Ray from Suffolk came with his parents to Braintree as a boy in 1640. His father died the following year. In 1661 Simon departed with his mother and step-father to Block Island off Rhode Island where he was one of the original settlers. He lived to be 102, dying there in 1737." http://www.selectsurnames4.com/ray.html http://www.selectsurnames4.com/ray.html

I am going to follow this further, but I think the living to over 100 years coincidence combined with the Block Island/Narragansett coincidence solves the mystery of the origins of the Haddam Rays.

If so they are not Portuguese (not likely in any case), but from Suffolk, England.

Simon Ray was justice of the peace for over 40 years.

Update: This seems to be a dead end, Simon Ray is not the father of James and Joseph according to his bio in Genealogies of RI Families.

Posted: 1488780339000
See my post below about Simon Ray. It looks like the James's Ray's father may have been Simon Ray of Block Island RI which would then tie with the Rochester connection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic