Search for content in message boards

Isabelle Elizabeth McBride

Isabelle Elizabeth McBride

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 2:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
My Grandmother was a BHC via Barnardos that came to Canada sometime between 1901 and 1911 it seems that she was adopted by Samuel McBride of Nottawasaga Township. My Grandmother was born 25 May 1897 in Edinburgh, Scotland. Barnardos can not give me any infomation due to the fact I do not know her birth name. Can someone please help!!!

Re: Isabelle Elizabeth McBride

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 7:37PM GMT
her marriage says father Samuel McBride but also the surname Foster is given. Did Sam marry Martha Rakestrow 17 Oct 1900 Algoma District, Algoma (so she is not a Foster)
I wonder how/why that surname is given on her marriage. But I also cannot find an Isabelle Foster coming on the pass lists. What do you think? Born Scotland - could be Quarrier's. How do you know she was a Barnardo girl? or maybe you meant like a Barnardo girl - a Home Child? She must have come after 1911 as she's not on that census with Sam Mcbride.

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 2:13PM GMT
A marriage seems to have been traced indicating another name, Foster, as well as the adopted name McBride. I think it could be worth while assuming that Foster could be her original name and working on that. As you seem sure of the birth date, why not start searching on Scotlands People and see if you can find an Isabelle Foster born in (or around) Edinburgh, at that time. Bit of lateral thinking needed!

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 4:40PM GMT
I think its says "name of Brides Foster Father " so there isn't a link to Foster.

Is there any way of getting the Foster papers from Canada ?

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 10:03PM GMT
Hadn't seen that, took the previous post as correct! It looks as though the only way will be through tracing some record of her arrival in Canada, the name she travelled with on the ship should be her original name. Sorry, no other suggestions.

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 11:42PM GMT
My grand mother was in the 1911, but not in the 1901

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 4:05AM GMT
I still don't find Isabelle in our 1911 census which is probably where you got her birthdate from (which could be wrong you realize). I had 3 different b-days for my BHC.
Did it give the year of immigration? What was the spelling on that census - I'd like to see it

ON the passenger lists you can use just the given name
and the year (none for IsabellE) but a few for IsabellA.
Maybe that is a way to eliminate some. Scotland I'd guess most likely Quarriers.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/i...

I also see where it says on that marriage 'foster father' darn it anyway.

You of course need a surname. County Court record or Guardian records (I believe the Ont Archive had such records) Did she name her children something different?
Did you also check the church records (confirmation? marriage might give more detail than license?)

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 4:33AM GMT
okay I just found them on the census - transcript error surname given McBoil! so I changed it to McBride
SHE IMMIGRATED 1907. She is living with Samuel and his sister

there are 5 Isabelle's that came 1907 (2 or 3 look good to eliminate. Do you use Ancestry.com? you could do 1901 census and 1911 to eliminate some.

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 1:38PM GMT
Are any of them a Grant or a Monroe (not sure on the spelling)

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 7:59PM GMT
why Grant or Monroe - would those be kids names?

not that I can see for 1907
you can check yourself (given name Isabel* 1907) *wildcard

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/0...

1.BROWNLEE Isabella 9FDominion1907 BARNARDO born Eng!?
2.FURNESS Isabella 13FDominion1907 ?? TOO OLD
3.JOHNSON Isabella 17 F Tunisian 1907 ?? TOO OLD
4.OLIVER Isabel 10 FTunisian 1907 NIAG-LAKE C OF E F/STRAYS
no birthplace given
5.ROLLSIsabel adult Victorian1907 MRS BIRT - KNOWLTON QUE

I don't have access to Scot 1911 If she was missing from 1911 you could 'suppose' she came to Canada and work on that family?

She might have even come 1906 or 1908 - census seem to
always be wrong

besides her marriage do you have any other papers with info on her - death (you'd have to pay Reg Gen) or obit - funeral home - kids marriages etc etc
per page

Find a board about a specific topic