Search for content in message boards

U. S. Glue Factory - Carrollville, WI

U. S. Glue Factory - Carrollville, WI

Posted: 26 Dec 2006 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vranik, Sieklik, Prska, Hosmanek, Plevak, Skulan
I am looking for any photos and/or history of the U. S. Glue Factory that use to be in Carrollville, Milwaukee Co., WI. I know it no longer exists. Thank you.
Denise Wranik McLoughlin

Re: U. S. Glue Factory - Carrollville, WI

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 12:03AM GMT
Denise-

I would look into the Peter Cooper Corp. That was the main name and the plant in Carollville was called the US Glue and Gelatin Div. If you do a google search, you'll see lots of hits.

They closed that plant between 1984-1987. I remember making deliveries there in about 1985. It was already vacant when there was a large fire in 1987.

I'll never forget the smell inside ther, it was horrible! I had to take my delivery to the 3rd floor in an ancient warehouse where the electricians shop was located. I think I held my breath the entire time.

John in Racine WI

ps Originally it was in the town of Lake and that part became Oak Creek. js

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: Vranik (Wranik), Sieklik, Prska, Hosmanek, Plevak, Skulan
Hi John-in-Racine,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still not having much luck finding a photo or any "real" history. In the early 1900's they hired on many Slovaks and I was hoping to find something that mentioned this. I found a photo of it a long time ago, but don't know if I have lost it on old computer or what. It is driving me nuts! - not a long drive, I might add ;>)

I would think that SOMEONE would have written about it when writing the histories of the areas, expecially Carrollville. Also, I thought "Lake" was what they called Cudahy? Now I am more confused. But, I do appreciate the suggestion - I did not know that it was the Peter Cooper Corp. and have only known of it as the U. S. Glue Factory.

Denise Wranik McLoughlin

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2012 8:07PM GMT
Hi Denise-

Actually, the Town of Lake was the large southest corner section of Milwaukee County at one time. Later, the cities of Oak Creek, South Milwaukee, Cudahy, St Francis and Milwaukee, either incorporated or annexed all of what was formerly the Town of Lake. Those constant boundary changes make it tough when you try to place old addresses in their present day locations. If it interests you any, you can read more about it at; www.ci.south-milwaukee.wi.us/history.htm.

Seeing that the old factory is now in Oak Creek, try contacting the Oak Creek Library at; www.mcfls.org/ocpl/. They might just be able to help you some more. You should also strike it rich by contacting the Milwaukee Public Library's Humanities Department; www.mpl.org/. One more place to try is the Milwaukee Historical Society at; www.milwaukeecountyhistsoc.org/.

If you can't find what you need let me know and I will dig a little further.

John

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 8:23PM GMT
Thanks John,
You're an angel. I will post back if no success.
Denise

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 12:11AM GMT
my grand father oscar wohlust worked their during the depression one of many jobs during that time

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 3:27PM GMT
The images of America Oak Creek Wisconsin book published by Arcadia has a photo of the factory, its general store and at least two photos of those that worked there in 1915. If you cannot find this book, I would be glad to scan the photos for you ljnoll@earthlink.net

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 3:52PM GMT
Oh - that would so wonderful if you could send me a scan. I am in IL, so finding this book out here would be difficult. I travel to WI in the summertime and visit the historical societies, etc., but if you could scan them, I would be so grateful! You can send them to my email: ddm1050@hotmail.com as that email accepts larger files. Thank you so much!
Denise

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 5:05PM GMT
I grew up in Carrollvile. 1956 to 1971. My mother worked in the office at Peter Cooper and retired from there. There was a Slovakian family that lived on Elm Street. Mother and 2 daughters. Only remember the name of 1 daughter. Elsie Boyagin( Not sure last name is spelled correctly.) I was quite young at the time. I checked with my sister for Elsie's last name. Also, Oak Creek High School Students Put together a small book on Carrollville History and had it printed . It is full of pictures and information on the History of Carrolville.If I remember correctly it dated back to the late 1800 early 1900. I hope this helps you. My sister thought there were 2 book on Carrollville. She is going to check and let me know. I will forward the information to you.

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Vranik Wranik Plevak Hosmanek Skulan Prska-Sieklik
This is great information! Thank you! Anything you can forward on to me would be great. I am hoping to be in the area in August for a dog show, and hopefully I will have time to visit the library, etc. But, sometimes I run out of time too soon! Thank you again for your input and offers.
Denise
per page

Find a board about a specific topic