Search for content in message boards

101 Cemeteries look-up

101 Cemeteries look-up

Posted: 1271822022000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooper
Could someone with the book 101 Cemeteries check and see if there is a listing for Noah Bryant Cooper? Born 3/4/1835 in Cool Springs, Horry, SC died 8/5/1897 in Mullins, Marion, SC. He served 2 terms as mayor of Mullins, was married to Lucinda Jenerette and they had 12 children. I'd like to know the cemetery he and his wife are buried in. (I really need to buy that book!)
Thanks...Robin

Re: 101 Cemeteries look-up

Posted: 1272717717000
Robin, Luck was with us this morning. I have that book and looked in the index for you but Noah and Lucinda are not listed. As I turned pages to check a "possibility", I found them on page 253 in the CEDARDALE Cemetery:

Lucinda Jenerette COOPER, Dec. 22, 1843 - June 24 1926, w of Noah B. Cooper

N. B. COOPER, March 4, 1835 - Aug. 5, 1897, b Cool Springs, Horry Co, SC; d Mullins, Marion Co, SC (Confederate Veteran)

Frances Elizabeth COOPER, Dec. 9, 1879 - April 1991, da of LJ & NB Cooper (This stone marks resting place of the first person buried in this cemetery. Beside her lie her mother and father)

Also listed with them are two children but I could not find PS & Leila:
Preston S. Cooper, Oct. 8, 1899 - Jan. 5, 1900, s of PS & Leila M. Cooper

Catherine COOPER, Feb. 14, 1898 - May 28, 1899, da of PS & Leila M. Cooper

When I purchased my book many years ago, the Historical Society included a listing of the Coleman family which the publisher had, for some reason, omitted from the printed index. Now I know there are other omissions.

Martha

Posted: 1272758247000
Thank-you Martha! I'm not sure I would have thought to look beyond the index even if I had the book! Would you mind if I occasionally emailed you with a look-up? I promise not to ask too often. I'd really like to buy the book but I guess I'll have to ask a cousin living in Marion to pick one up for me.

Thanks again for the information...Robin

Posted: 1272908188000
Surnames: Smith - Hayes
Hi,
I have not heard of this book before now. Is it for Marion/Dillon county? or more scattered.

I am looking for a listing of people buried in what once was known as Kirby's Crossroads cemetery. But I have not found any information for that cemetery.

My GG Grandfather lived close to Kirby's Crossroads and I assume he must have been buried at that location, since he doesn't show with any of his other family members, where they are buried.

John D. Smith died September 1868 born 1810

Posted: 1273320178000
The book was published by The Marion County Historical Society in 1983. Their address to obtain copies (in my book) is Marion County Historical Society, c/o Mrs. Lacy Davis, Route 2 Box 3050, Gresham, SC 29546. It does include 7 Dillon County cemeteries located near the Marion/Dillon County Line but none identified as Kirby's Crossroads. I did not find John D. Smith listed and neither of the 3 John Smith's fit his age.

Posted: 1273503047000
Thank you very much for the information and also for trying to find him.

Posted: 1479152676000
Surnames: Porter, Smith
Ran across this (John D Smith is one of my wife's Porter line ancestors as well). I was coming to ask if anyone knew the location of Kirby's Crossroads? I have not been able to find it on the few mapping sources I've used so far?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic