Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on my great grandfather Leonardo Nevarez (born 1876 in Durango)

Looking for info on my great grandfather Leonardo Nevarez (born 1876 in Durango)

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nevarez
My great grandfather, Leonardo Nevarez was born in Durango in 1876. His parents were Peter Nevarez and Theresa Allarcon but I have no other information on them. There is a Theresa Nevarez in the 1930 census in Durango but she is 65 and would have been 10 or 11 at the time of my great grandfather's birth. If anyone knows anything else or has suggestions on where to look, I would be greatful.

James Baird

Re: Looking for info on my great grandfather Leonardo Nevarez (born 1876 in Durango)

Posted: 22 Apr 2012 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi James -

Your dad is my cousin and my oldest son Mark wore some of your baby clothes - small world. I hope some of the following information is new for you.It is all that I have found so far.

Pedro Nevares married Teresa Alarcon Dec. 10, 1873 in Santa Catarina de Tepehaunes, Durango, Mexico

Leonardo was christened Nov. 18, 1877 - same place

Brothers and Sisterss: Silverio, J. Catalino, Luis, Maria, Eligia, Vicenta, Jose, Librdo

Leonardo Nevarez married Elisa Kuhn on July 2, 1909 in Chihuahua, Mexico

They crossed over into Laredo, Texas on a footbridge

They are showing in Texas on the 1920 census, then California on the 1930 census. Josefina was listed on the 1920 census, I bleieve age 65. She is not listed on the 1930 census.

Leonardo and Elisa both have naturalization papers but those are packed away so I don't have the dates off hand

Leonardo has a World War I Draft Registration Card, issued in Bexar County, Texas

Your grandma, my Aunt Gladys, told me Leonardo's sister, Maria married Antonio Galindo, and died sometime in 1930s in Santa Barbara.

I haven't been able to confirm those dates - might provide more information. I haven't had any luck going further with Edward Kuhn or Josefina Ruiz.

Have a nice day.

Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic