Search for content in message boards

female academy at new hope 1849

female academy at new hope 1849

Posted: 948628800000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1132024612000
Surnames: biggs
female academy at new hope creek nation i.t. --the memphis conference of the methodist church to the five civilized indian tribes placed rev/dr amariah biggs in charge november 14, 1849. he and some of his family came from arkansas and lived for a year in the mission.

Re: female academy at new hope 1849

Posted: 1518555439000
Classification: Query
Turns out Dr. Amariah Biggs is my 4th great grandfather. His son John and their Cherokee worker are my ancestors. The problem that I am having is that I had my DNA ran and I have no Native American in me. I no longer believe she was Native American. Perhaps that was just her story at the time? In any case, I can't find any record of her outside of a 1940 census where it says Aramiah owned 2 females slaves-unnamed and 2 agricultural workers-unnamed and no gender given. According to this record if my ancestor was one of the slaves, she would have been born between 1817 and 1830. ( In1930 when the census was taken and the Biggs family did not record having any so slaves.) By this logic the female slave would have been minimum 2 years (15 max years) older than him and not likely to have been my ancestor. Looking thru all these records the common theme is that men usually messed around with women younger than them not older. So that leaves one of the two agricultural workers who are also unamed. I am hoping to call around the city and maybe talk to someone there that has records or access to more information. Just wondering what if anything you have found. I'm curious as to if my unknown female ancestor could actually be from a tribe but perhaps adopted, or some explanation of where she came from. Maybe Amariah got her from a mission as a child and assumed she was Native.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic