Search for content in message boards

Looking for James M. Bailey, died 1900-1910, possibly in Mercer County.

Looking for James M. Bailey, died 1900-1910, possibly in Mercer County.

Posted: 1043802490000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1086004023000
Surnames: Bailey, Storks, Mincher
I am trying to locate information on my gg-grandfather James M. Bailey. He was born in Dec 1854, probably in Des Moines or Louisa County, Iowa. He spent most of his life in Louisa County, and married Alice Storks there in April 1876. He was listed as a farmer until the 1900 census, where he is shown as a railroad engineer living near Oakville. Several members of the immediate family also worked for the Iowa Central/M&St.L. and moved into western Illinois about this time. In the 1910 census, his wife is listed as a widow, and living in Keithsburg. I haven't found any signs that he died in Louisa County - no death certificate, burial record, etc. I would appreciate if some one would check for his death or burial in a Mercer county index. Thank you.

Re: Looking for James M. Bailey, died 1900-1910, possibly in Mercer County.

Stan Garmer (View posts)
Posted: 1043974268000
He could possibly be a son of John Bailey (1/9/1823-5/9/1896) and Martha Ann Fausett. John's obituary states that he had 7 children, six living at the time of his death. The 1880 census listed five of the children living in 1896 and the one who had died. It is possible that James was his eldest son and since he was married in 1876 was off on his own. The obit also stated that John lived in Keithsburg until 1886 then moved across to a farm in Iowa. This is about the time Bill Garmer, my g-grandfather's brother, married John's daughter Sarah. They took up farming around Oakville. I suspect that Bill could have farmed Bailey owned land. Shortly before his death John went back to Keithsburg and died in his son George's home there. Martha remarried 2 years later to Archibald Taylor. I don't know when or where Martha and the other family members died. Their obits might help if they could be located. Maybe James wedding license application may state his father names. I have been to the family plot in Keithsburg. There is room for at least 8 there I would say. I know John is there and there are two other markers. Bill Garmer is there without marker. Unfortunately a previous cemetery caretaker destroyed all the records. I had fournd all this out for one of Bill Garmer and Sarah Bailey's descendents. Its nothing conclusive, but I strongly suspect that James could be connected to this family. I can provide a little more information if you are interested. I was raised in that area, but now reside in SW Missouri.

Posted: 1044016539000
Edited: 1101819866000
Thanks for the reply Stan. Perhaps I should have mentioned James's parents names. They were Pierce DeShield Bailey(almost always written P.D. Bailey) and Deborah Waterhouse. From what I have heard from other sources, P. D. was born in Carrolton, Kentucky in 1827, to John Bailey (born in Delaware, died Louisa County in 1865) and Sarah Goddard (born Maryland, died Henry Co. IA in 1858). I also have that P.D. had a brother named John C., which could be your John - at this time, I have no other information on him. P.D. named a son John Charles, born in 1857, and I'm guessing this was in honor of his brother.

If my James was related, he may well be buried in Keithsburg with the other Baileys. I often wonder why my gg-grandparents weren't buried together, but have found such instances before. I am guessing that several of the family members moved to Keithsburg because of the M&St.L. roundhouse, which was later moved to Monmouth.

Thanks again for the information. I'll see if I can connect to it some way. It has been sometime since I last tried to sort all of the Bailey census records I had seen from Oakville and the surrounding areas. There were several, and all seemed related. Your clues should help.

Stan Garmer (View posts)
Posted: 1044079176000
The obit for my John Bailey lists him as being born in Albermarle county Va, moved to Irwinsville, KY 1833 and married in Indiana in 1848. There was another obit I obtained last summer for Ella Bailey in a Sep 20, 1898 copy of the Aledo Democrat. Ella's body was brought to Keithsburg on train from Oakville and interned in Greenmound Cemetery. It is a very short account with no other details except the pallbearers. None of them were Bailey's. A website listing of Bailey graves in Mercer Co. only shows John and his daughter Emma at Greenmound. The plot has a small markers for Neddie and Eddie. I walked a good portion of the cemetery last summer looking for John's grave. I heard that there might be another Bailey plot, but did not see it. If I find anything more out I will pass it on. thanks..

Re: Looking for James M. Bailey, died 1900-1910, possibly in Mercer County

Posted: 1056219907000
Edited: 1077710011000
Surnames: BAILEY KIME
Unknown if this James M. Bailey could be related, but a James M. Bailey married a Susan Kime in Marion Co, IN, in 1835. Unknown what became of them.

[sharing this info to help; not related]

Update died between brother Taylor in 1930 and sister Jane in 1941.

Posted: 1467069228000
I still haven't found my gg-grandfather, James M. Bailey. However, I have found that he died after his brother Taylor Lewis Bailey on 27 November 1930, as Taylor's obituary stated James was living in Colorado. I have had no luck in finding any record of him in Colorado records (several men of the same name turned out not to be him). I also know now that he died before his sister, Mrs. Sarah Jane Bailey Wilson, who died 16 January 1941.

As it turned out, the 1910 census was a distraction; his wife wasn't widowed, but divorced.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic