Search for content in message boards

Roden roots in Louisiana via Carolinas

Roden roots in Louisiana via Carolinas

Posted: 19 Dec 2010 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for info on Joshua Emory Roden, father of my great grandmother Rebecca Roden Ruff. They lived in northern Louisiana. I believe the Rodens came to Lousiana by way of Mississippi or Alabama. They were originally in the Carolinas.
Thanks,

Re: Roden roots in Louisiana via Carolinas

Posted: 20 Dec 2010 4:11PM GMT
My Roden line was in Chester Co SC. Some of them migrated to Blount Co Alabama. You'll find messages on this board regarding some of that line. Try entering Jeremiah Roden.
My line migrated to GA and FL.

Hope this helps you. Cheryl Rhoden

Posted: 2 Jun 2011 3:27PM GMT
the rodens in the jonesboro, la area came from alabama and presumably alabama prior to that.

the name Rhoden was changed to Roden when the entered LA, as they wanted to distance themselves from the rhodens in
AL.

according to my father/deceased: the original german spelling was rhode/with umlaut over the o...

Posted: 3 Jun 2011 1:37PM GMT
My Great-Grandfather was Joshua Emory Roden, b. 12/24/1844 in Marshall Co., AL to Spencer w. and Rebecca Pruitt Roden, their 7th child and 6th son; d. 11/13/1904, married Pamela Jane Hicks 02/06/1859. She was born 1845 and died 02/02/1889, They had 10 children: James Emery, Levi W. (my grandfather), William Franklin, Martha, Rebecca Ann "Becky", Mary N., John Bentley, Sarah E. "Sadie", Wallace Henry, and Berthenia. In 1891 he married Mary Ann Hartselle, b. 1867, d. 1901. They had one child: Julia.

Posted: 3 Jun 2011 1:56PM GMT
The Rodens of Alabama were primarily descendants of the Rodens of Chester Co SC. Their ancestor was Eszekiah Raughton who came to Jamestown aboard the Bona Nova in 1619.
Some believe he was the son of Sir William Wroughton of England. I have not researched that myself.

The 'h' was added in the mid 1830s to the name by the Rhodens of GA and FL. There is a Roden Cemetery in DeKalb AL. The enumeration is online.

An excellent resource is the Roden Chronologues by Mildred Founier - available online. The name had numerous spellings.
best regards, Cheryl Rhoden
per page

Find a board about a specific topic