Search for content in message boards

Help with Hamburg Passenger List

Help with Hamburg Passenger List

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi.
Can someone help me with reading both the german and old handwriting on the ancestry Hamburg Passenger List? My great grandparents are listed there, and there are a couple of columns that might tell me more about my great grandmother than the little we already know.

Thanks,
Pat.

Re: Help with Hamburg Passenger List

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 1:40AM GMT
I would be happy to try. May you be able to copy / share with me the document? Or give me the names on which ship?

I have read many of the Hamburg Passenger Lists in the last 30 years. Thank you.

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 2:02AM GMT
Delighted. Thank you for such a quick offer of help. I will attempt to attach the document. The names are Ernst and Grete Denser, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

I'm particularly interested in the column that says something at the top about bracketing family members together, but then within those columns contains what appears to be names, surname and given. Grete's says "Reimers" with a vorname, but I cannot read Ernst's. Also, Ernst's occupation, which on arrival in the US was reported as "Merchant".

And, obviously, anything else with a little "wow factor".

THanks!
Pat.
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: Denser
Hi Pat,

These pages are 2 different pages of Passengers aboard the Gellert Steamship in 1881.

From the right hand page showing the details of the ship --

Steamship Gellert Captain Fu"hlmeier

The Ship's Passenger List page is from a ship that was on February 22, 1881 in Hamburg, Germany when passengers embarked and disembarked at New York in 1881.

Denser, Ernst 29
}
Grete 25 Allerdorf / Hal____

Ernst's Occupation Merchant = Kaufmann

Grete's Occupation or = Fr. as an example on Line 4 from the top and a few below Grete shows "Frau"
(Bisheriger Stand = position) Frau

The only description at the top of the page asks if each passenger is an adult or a child. Two adults checked for Ernst and Grete Denser.

For more information on the Gellert Steamship do a Google search. These websites:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=gelle

http://books.google.com/books?id=kC0aL7aw230C&pg=PA45&am...

Good Hunting!

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 6:17AM GMT
Surnames: Reimers
Reimers with a vorname (a first name) on next page .. His name is Joh. L.

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 2:53PM GMT
Thanks very much for the explanation. The only question I have left is, why is Reimer's name in there? Who is he supposed to be?

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 7:47AM GMT
Surnames: Reimers
These pages are 2 different pages of Passengers aboard the Gellert Steamship in 1881.

From the right hand page showing the details of the ship --

Reimers, Johann Ludwig -- as a guess at a common first and middle names coming from Germany.

Nothing from the facing left page coordinates with anything on the right hand page. Both sides of pages give only, a passenger's name (last, first, middle) age, location, and occupation or title.

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 7:50AM GMT
Surnames: Denser
Have you looked up the town name Allerdorf / Hal__ and viewed the New York Passenger list arrivals?
Good hunting!

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 12:40PM GMT
Thanks again for your help. Others have read that name as Albersdorf, which I have looked into. It should be helpful. Her husband is from Meldorf and I had assumed she was too. This has given me new hope of finding her in records.

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 4:43PM GMT
Oh, I missed the Albersdorf as Allerdorf, that must be in Holstein. Meldorf is west of Neumu"ster. The town of Albersdorf that I see is north of Lubeck and east of Eutin, Germany. You mention her husband's town, Meldorf is west of Neumu"ster.Hope it helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic