Search for content in message boards

How to find my great grandfather's parents

How to find my great grandfather's parents

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 10:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a TON of information on my father's father's father (my great grandfather) but I don't know anything about his parents except that HIS father was from Germany. I thought I could get their names by looking through census records from when my great grandfather was a child and a member of their household. With the amount of info I know, I thought it'd be fairly easy to narrow down.

This is what I know about him:
His first middle and last name
His exact date of birth, date of marriage, and date of death
The exact TOWN that he was born in
That he was the first of four children
I figured if he was born in 1894, he'd show up on census records for 1900, 1910, and 1920, but I haven't found him on ANY of them.

Does anyone have any idea why he might be missing from the records for the first 26 years of his life? Where else could I look to get his parents names with this info?
Thanks!

Re: How to find my great grandfather's parents

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 1:41AM GMT
David, Sometimes the names are transcribed incorrectly. For your grtgrandfather John L Martin (1894), try 1920 census with the Philadelphia Ward 28 address. Add Catherine (1869) Phila (born and died) as his mother and John J Martin 1867 born PA as his father. See if the names look familiar to you. Then in the 1910 census, look at John S Martin in Phila Ward 47; I believe that is the same guy as John L. and he is a bookkeeper at a department store. (I don't think the 1920 census you have is correct, it gives his b.d. as 1890.) Also, not sure if you have the marriage date, but I just ran across the marriage record: 1924 John L Martin spouse Curran. And if the 1910 census IS correct, take note of the father-in-law living there...making your Catherine's last name McCloskey. Her father Patrick (born 1825) was from Ireland and is listed as a widower on the 1910 census.

I hope these people belong to you. I don't have this branch on my tree, but I belong to the Hak/Hack branch that you have on your tree.

Mary Boone (Hack/Gibson White/Powers tree)

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 6:37PM GMT
Hi Mary,
Thanks so much for your help! I did some digging into the suggestions you made, and I feel very confident that you have the correct person. I was able to make some pretty good progress on fleshing out these histories.

It seems that the wife and the father in law were a second wife that's not the mother of the children. I'm looking for the mother's death record now.

Also, thanks for all of the help on the Hack tree. I was able to connect that to my grandmother's mother's lineage.

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 8:00PM GMT
Have you tried to get death certificates, obituaries, and marriage records in order to find parents' names? Those are all possibilities.

Passenger lists often show whole families (if they immigrated together.)

Wills could also indicate siblings -- which can lead to either census data OR you could research the siblings for parents' names.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 1:40AM GMT
You're welcome.

Soooo...I guess that makes us distant relatives through Matilda (?) Hack? Interesting.

My Grandfather, George Hack (nephew of Matilda I believe), lived in Philly the first half of his life and in Pleasantville, NJ the second half. I see you are in Voorhees, NJ.

I grew up in Philly, but lived a nomadic existence after leaving high school. I'm 60 now, so I've stayed put longer...I am in Chesapeake, VA (near Virginia Beach) where I landed after leaving the Navy and Hawaii.

Nice to meet you David.

Mary White Boone

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 5:33PM GMT
Surnames: Power
The Catherine "Katie" Powers in your family tree married to a Robert Francis white was my 1st cousin (3x removed). The Power side of my family comes from Salmon Cove (now Avondale) Newfoundland. My great great grandfather was John Power. The 's' on Power was added to the Power surname in the US only. In Canada, Newfoundland and Ireland it is Power. I really don't know why the 's' was added.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic