Search for content in message boards

Reuben Moren of Hempstead County, Arkansas

Reuben Moren of Hempstead County, Arkansas

Posted: 3 Jul 2005 4:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moren, Freeman, Reed
I trying to find out more info on a Reuben Moren. He lived in Hempstead County, Arkansas from 1830's thru 1880's. Somehow he was related to an Abner Moren of the same county since Reuben was an adminstrator of his estate. Also it appears that he was married to three different women between 1830's-1880's. Not sure what his first wife's name was, but she must have died in the 1840's. His second wife whom he married on May 2, 1851 was named Racheal Freeman. She was the daughter of William and Sarah Reed and had been married previously. At some point Racheal died. Then Reuben married a third time sometime in the 1870's to a women from Texas named Anna. Through all of these marriages he had lots and lots of children.

Reuben lived close by to the William Reed family of Saline Twp. Hempstead County. In the 1850 census of Hempstead County, Arkansas, William Reed had two people listed in his household named Madison Moren 14 and Prudence Moren 18. Also William Reed and Reuben Moren are listed together in the 1840 census and the 1850 Slave Schedule for Arkansas.

I am trying to determine if Madison Moren is the same M. S. Moren that was born 15 Nov 1837 and later lived in Saline County, Ark. M. S. Moren enlisted during the Civil War in Co. K, 6th Arkansas Cavalry, at Magnolia, Arkansas, June 21, 1862. He was detailed as a teamster on July 14, 1862; present to June 30, 1863. After the war he filed Arkansas pension application #10691 from Saline County, August 28, 1901. Also M. S. Moren married a Mary C. Dale? on 22 Sep 1859. M. S. Moren did have a son named Madison, so I think the M. stood for Madison as well. For a short time M. S. Moren lived in Louisana, but he came back to Arkansas and died on 25 June 1902

Also I want to get more info on Reuben Moren, who his parents were, who he was married to the 1st time, and what the names of there children were.

Any info will be very helpful, Thanks.

Re: Reuben Moren of Hempstead County, Arkansas

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 10:13PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2007 11:04AM GMT
Surnames: Moren, Ward
I am trying to find info on the Abner Moren that you mention. Do you have info on his will or estate? I believe that his daughter Sarah m Daniel Ward. I have been told that he left part of his estate to children named Marshall, Armetiziah, and Sarah Ward who were said to be children of Jesse Ward. Any info that you could share would be appreciated.

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: Moren, Murray,Reed
Hi David..still here? You and I are swimming in the same gene pool. I'm working on Matterson Moren also, finding a lot of the same things you are. It's my theory that the "Madison" living with the Reeds in 1850 is actually Matterson, and Prudence is posssibly his sister. Haven't proved it yet, but the birth date is likely. Another branch of my family was operating on the theory that Matterson's father was Samuel Moren who was reported to have died in 1850, which would co-incide with these children living with the Reeds in 1850.
Matterson is my great grandfather. My Great grandmother was Arline Murray, his second wife, and mother of my Grandfather, Bert Stewart Moren.

I've also seen different birth days for Matterson S. Moren.
15 Nov 1837, 15 Nov 1836...and the 1900 census lists him as 61 yrs old which would give him a birthdate of 1938 or 1939..so if you have any verified DOB please let me know.

As for Matterson's son, my dad's cousin Grover made an extensive list of the Moren families of Matterson and William Clark Moren (his father). According to our family history, the son's given name was John Materson Moren. He was called "Mattie" by the family. He was born Apr 9 1870, and died 17 Oct 1954 at 84 yrs. Mattie was blind and never married. I think all the census records listing him and Matterson as "Madison" or "Matison" are just spelling errors.

I found a lot of land records in Hempstead County for parcels of land that are closely grouped for Abner Moren, Abner Moren Jr., Reuben Moren, James Moren, James L Moren,
Jesse Moren, Samuel Moren, and maybe Gilbert Moren, so I'm now trying to establish relationships for these fellows in hopes of figuring out Matterson S.Moren's parentage.

If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me..
Suzan Moren

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2009 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Ward, Moren
I probably posted an incorrect item on Marshall, Sarah & Artemissa Ward stating that they were Jessie Wards children when in fact they were Daniel Ward's children who married Sarah Moren. I have a copy to a petition to the Court in Sevier County on Abner Morning estate from Daniel Ward. I believe this was Abner Moren. I am not for sure but they Moren and Ward children were connected in more than one way. I believe Margaret Moren was married to Benjamine Layne is that correct. and a daughter married John Ward if my memory serves me. I have not been able to find my census books so that I can send other information attaching the petition
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Moren
Moren researchers may want to check out the Spanish Land Claims for Jesse Moren dated 1828. They are located at the Arkansas Commissoner of State Lands Web page ( http://www.cosl.org/history/spanishclaimselect.aspx) at the top of page 40. This location is in modern southern end of Howard Co.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Moren, Reed, Freeman, Sanders, Ward, Wyatt, Wilson, Kelley
Hi All,

I haven't been researching the Moren line very much in recent years, until this past week when I got my Ancestry DNA results back. I found that I match a descendant of Abner Moren via Jesse Moren and another descendant of Sarah Moren & Daniel Ward. As a result, I have dug out my old notes to go over the details of what I remember.

I know there is some issue with M. S. Moren's first name. Most contemporary documents only show his initials as M. S.. The 1850 census is the only place where I have seen his first name as Madison. He did have a son who went by the name Mattie or Matison. Later family documents that resulted years after M. S. Moren's death show his name as Matterson. I have no idea where that came from, but appears to be a mistranslation of his original name. I believe he might have been named after President James Madison due to the Moren's Virignia past. Then his family called him Mady, Madi or Maddie for short as a nickname. Then as time went on it was understood as Matty or Mattie. Years later after his death, I think family members blended Mattie with Son, resulting in Matterson; not knowing his true name or how it was spelled. The fact that he used initals of M. S. all the time, as was popular in the south back in those days, makes it difficult as well to understand his true first name.

I think with my ancestor Madison S. Moren there are two camps among his descendants. One camp believes that he was the son of Reuben Moren and the other camp that believes he was the son of Samuel Moren. As far as I understand, both Reuben Moren and Samuel Moren were the sons of Abner Moren, as well as administers\heirs of his estate upon his death.

Reuben Moren appears to have been born around 1810-11 in Tennessee. He moved to Hempstead County, Arkansas presumably with Abner Moren and others. He first appears in a Arkansas census from 1828 as living in the Hempstead County area. He acquired land in the area, where he was a farmer and slave owner, on 4/10/1837 (Howard Co.) and again on 3/1/1843 (Hempstead Co.). Upon Abner Moren's death in Hempstead County on 18 May 1847, Reuben Moren was an administrator of his estate. Also it appears that Reuben was married to three different women between 1830's-1880's. The first appears in the 1830 census. Not sure what his first wife's name was nor can I find a marriage record. She must have died in the 1840's as Reuben appears to be the head of household of many children without a wife in the 1850 census. I believe that this first wife was somehow related to William and Sarah (Wilson) Reed. I think that would explain Madison and Prudence Moren living with William Reed in the 1850 census. Reuben's second wife whom he married on May 2, 1851 was named Racheal Freeman. She was also the daughter of William and Sarah (Wilson) Reed and had been married previously to a Finius E. Freeman who must have died around 1850-1851 after the census was taken. At some point Racheal died. Then on 18 Nov. 1878 a Reuben Moren, born around 1810 and the same Reuben Moren in my opinion, got married to a woman from Texas named Anna or Annie Sanders. Through all of these marriages there were many children born. It appears that Reuben died around 1883 in Hempstead County, Arkansas. For most of the time Reuben Moren lived next door to the William Reed family of Hempstead County. Also William Reed and Reuben Moren are listed together in the 1840 census and the 1850 Slave Schedules for Arkansas. Also there is a W. Reed and a W. R. Reed as witnesses on M. S. Moren's proof of Confederate service document. So the Reuben, M.S. Moren, and Reed Family connections are very strong.

Next is Samuel Moren. He was born in 1788 in Virginia and died on 9 Feb 1845 in Hempstead County, Arkansas. He was married to Elizabeth Wyatt. He was postmaster of the Hempstead\Howard Counties area. Also he owned land and slaves at the time of his death. Apparently his death was untimely, as he left behind 9 children. There appears to be a daughter Rebecca Moren age 23 and maybe other children in that 1850 census that went to live with Reuben Moren after Samuel's death. Rebecca Moren appears to be too old to be Reuben's daughter as she would have been born in 1827 when Reuben was 16-17 yrs old. I think the Prudence Moren and Madison Moren were Reuben's kids and were just sent temporarily to live at the Reed house in order to make room for Samuel Moren's children after his death. However there is a interesting note I found at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/t/a/r/Di-ann-Tarh... This page states that Prudence "Prudy" Moren married a Thomas Jefferson Kelley on 9/2/1875 in Pulaski County, Arkansas and was a sister to Rebecca Moren according to an old family story. That story states that in December of 1895, Prudy took care of Rebecca who was sick with the flu. Then Prudy and Rebecca both died from the flu between 12/26 - 12/27/1895. They are both buried in the Gum Springs cemetery. Then again, if Samuel Moren was the father of Madison and Prudence, why would they go live at William Reed's house when Samuel Moren had no direct ties to the Reed family? It doesn't make sense. They should have been living directly with Reuben Moren instead and Reuben's actual kids would have gone to live with the Reeds as a result. Between 1845 and the 1860's it appears Samuel's wife, Elizabeth (Wyatt) Moren, went to court to settle disputes with Samuel's estate and slave ownership. Her case appears to have gone all the way to the Supreme Court of Arkansas in order to finally get settled; google Moren vs. McCown Arkansas. Too bad the Supreme Court case doesn't mention any of her children's names.
Anyway, to me it is a tossup as to who the father of Madison S. Moren was. It could have been Reuben, Samuel, or even another Moren brother, but he definitely is related; no doubt there. If anyone knows of a will or other documents for Reuben Moren and any information regarding the court cases of Elizabeth (Wyatt) Moren, wife of Samuel Moren, that would have lead to her subsequent Arkansas Supreme court case, please let me know. Any info will be very helpful, Thanks.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Moren, Wyatt, Ward, Layne, Landers
Okay, here is a Chancery Court Record that I uncovered recently from the Hempstead County, Arkansas courthouse in Hope, Ark. that sorts out and outlines all of Abner Moren Sr. heirs (children and grandchildren):

(pages) 487 (- 489)

May Term A. D. 1852

Wednesday Morning May 12th A. D. 1852

Court met pursuant to adjournment

Present the Hon. Shelton Watson Judge

Reuben Moren, Abner Moren, Benjamin Layne and other heirs and distributors of the Estate of Abner Moren deceased. Petitioners}

Exparte – Petition for partition and distribution of Real Estate.

This day came the said petitioners by Holbard their Solicitor, and this cause came on to be heard upon the petition, Exhibits and Endowers of Title, and the said petition and affidavit verify the same and the Endowers of Title being heard and considered, the Court is of opinion and doth find that the said petitioners are all of the heirs and distributors of the Estate of the said Abner Moren deceased, and the Court is further of the opinion and doth find that the said Abner Moren departed this life, being seized and possessed in his own right at the time of his death, of the following described tracts or parcels of land; To wit: ( The South East quarter of the North East quarter of Section Thirty one in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty Six West being Forty acres; also the north half of the North East quarter of Section Thirty in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty Six West being Eighty acres; also the South West quarter of the North East quarter of Section Thirty in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty Six West being Forty Acres; also the North West quarter of the South East quarter of Section Thirty in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty six West being Forty acres; also the South West quarter of the South East quarter of Section Nineteen in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty Six West being Forty acres; also of a portion of the North West quarter of the North West quarter of Section Twenty Nine in Township Eleven South of Range Twenty six West; the said North East quarter of the North West quarter of Section Nineteen having been Surveyed into Town Lots in the Town of Columbus; except two small fractions and lots one, two, three and four in Block fifteen, lots one, two and four in Block twenty two. Lots one, two, three, and four in Block twenty four. Lots one, two, three, four, five, six, seven and Eight in Block Eighteen, which was sold by the said Abner in his lifetime. Which said lands are situated in the said County of Hempstead; and the Court is of opinion and doth further find that these are the original heirs and Representators of the Estate of the said Abner Moren, who take and hold Equal distribution portions of the said lands and premises, whereof the said Abner Moren died seized and possessed as aforesaid ,

and that the said Reuben Moren ought to have and hold one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said Abner Moren (Jr.) one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said Travis W. Moren, Ambrose S. Moren, Ludica Moren, Joel C. Moren, Francis McCown and Lucatta his wife, John Moren, Erastus Wren and Lunetta his wife, Adaline Moren, Louisiana Moren and Indiana Moren, representing the said Samuel Moren ought to have and hold one tenth part thereof;

The said Benjamin Layne and Margaret Layne in right of the said Margaret ought to have and hold an equal tenth part thereof;

The said John Landers and Theodosia his wife, in right of the said Theodosia one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said Robert C. Moren, William Watkins and Rebecca, in right of the said Rebecca and William Moren, Representators of the said Jesse Moren, one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said John Moren, Clark Moren, and Thomas Moren, representing the said Gilbert Moren one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said Rebecca Moren, Nancy Bridgeman, Prudence Moren, Waitsell Moren, Madison Moren and David C. Moren (Jr.), representing the said David C. Moren (Sr.), one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said Andrew J. Ward, David C. Ward, Edward Fitzgerald and Nancy his wife in right of the said Nancy, Green G. Ward, Bryant Madden and Artemesia his wife in right of the said Artimesia, Marshall Ward and Sarah Ward, William Taylor, Joseph L. Taylor, Daniel T. Taylor and Thomas Taylor representing the said Lucinda Taylor, all representing the said Sarah Ward one Equal tenth part thereof;

The said John W. Wyatt, William D. Shockley and Lunetta his wife in right of the said Lunetta, James Wyatt, James B. Hemphill and Mary his wife in right of the said Mary, Elizabeth Wyatt, Abner S. Moren and Lenora his wife in right of the said Lenora, Sarah Wyatt, Margaret Wyatt, Joseph Wyatt, Nancy Wyatt, Louisiana Wyatt and Martha Wyatt, representing the said Nancy Wyatt, one Equal tenth part thereof;

(END OF TRANSCRIPTION- However, the above court record does continue onto page 489, but the above shows the most critical genealogical information of Abner Moren's family.)

(Source: Hempstead County, Arkansas – Chancery Court Book B, pages 487-489)

This court record is extremely important as it outlines the existing heirs of Abner Moren Sr. in 1852 through each one of his sons and daughters.

Abner Moren Sr. sons and daughters listed as follows:

-Reuben Moren

-Abner Moren Jr.

-Samuel Moren – deceased prior to June 21, 1847; Lists Samuel’s children as heirs.

-Margaret (Moren) Layne

-Theodosia (Moren) Landers

-Jesse Moren – deceased prior to June 21, 1847; Lists Jesse’s children as heirs.

-Gilbert Moren – deceased prior to June 21, 1847; Lists Gilbert’s children as heirs.

-David C. Moren Sr. – deceased prior to June 21, 1847; Lists David’s children as heirs.

-Sarah (Moren) Ward – deceased prior to June 21, 1847; Lists Sarah’s children as heirs.

-Nancy (Moren) Wyatt - Lists Nancy’s children as heirs.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Moren, Bridgeman
Therefore, from this chancery court record we learn that the father of the said Rebecca Moren, Nancy Bridgeman, Prudence Moren, Waitsell Moren, MADISON MOREN and David C. Moren (Jr.) is David C. Moren (Sr.).

Finally, this mystery is now solved.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic