Search for content in message boards

Traynor and Connelly family. Lochee and Dundee

Traynor and Connelly family. Lochee and Dundee

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Any information on the family of Michael Traynor, hairdresser on High Street in Lochee until 1929 would be greatly welcome. He married Mary Ann a widow with small children. His step daughter Helen or Ellen married Peter Connelly. They had a son Thomas who went on to become a priest in the USA. Ellen or Helen died when Thomas was a small boy.

Re: Traynor and Connelly family. Lochee and Dundee

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 9:33AM GMT
Hi ,
from 1929-1931 Micheal Traynor had a stationers shop , house at 29 High Street.From 1932-1936 his shop is 9 Ann Street,Dundee, house is 38 Hilltown.(also living there is a Jessie ??). From 1937-1943 there is a Micheal traynor listed a living at 65 main street.
Is Jessie his daughter ?? as i see listed a Miss J. Traynor who seems to own a newsagent shop

cheers,
Kinshoni

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 6:04PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2012 6:04PM GMT
Thanks for that information. Will look into it. Though the Michael Traynor in my tree was a hairdresser and died in 1929 at 29 High Street, Lochee which seems to have also been the shop. Several children are listed in the census but no Michael or Jessie as yet. Funny that 2 Michael Traynors had shops on the same street.
The plot thickens lol.
Thanks again

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 8:07PM GMT
I think Jessie may be the Jessie Cunningham Connelly who crossed from Canada to the US in the company of her cousin Rev Thomas Connelly in 1952 (ref. ancestry). She was born in 1904 in Pollockshaws, Glasgow and was the daughter of Patrick Connelly and Cecilia Quinn. I think she was actually Thomas's second cousin and that her father Patrick was a first cousin of Peter C who married Ellen Owens. Peter's father, Thomas and Patrick's father Patrick were brothers (as far as I can ascertain as I can't find a death for Thomas)and they were living next door to one another in the 1871 census for Pole Park Road, Dundee.

Ellen Owens was the daughter of Patrick Owens and Mary Ann Owens nee Haughton. Patrick Owens died in 1871 and Mary Ann then married Michael Trayor. They had a number of children- half bothers and sisters of Ellen- Isabella, Edward, Mary Ann Jane,Joseph,Catherine,Susan and Leo Minnie. Susan appears to have died in 1955 and Leo Minnie in 1963 and both appear not to have married. Catherine died in 1923. Edward appears to have gone to pennsylvania in 1908 where he married Mary Susan Brady. He took US citizenship in 1917.

Hope this is of some help.
Isobel

Posted: 1 May 2012 8:19AM GMT
Hello Isobel, Jessie Connelly was my grandmothers sister, so know about her going to Canada and then on to the USA.
I haven't been able to find a death for Thomas Connelly Sr either. Not even when its spelt ConnOlly, which is sometimes the case.
The other Traynors that went to the USA might explain why Thomas, later Reverand Thomas also did. Rev. Thomas died in 1969, Florida. Have more info on him if you wish. Have been trying to find a death date for his father Peter, unable to so far. I would also like to find which seminary Rev Thomas studied at. Have been in touch with seminary's in Wexford, Ireland but no luck finding him there. He went to the USA in 1918, the travel documents state that his nearest relative is his grandfather Michael Traynor, High street Lochee. Thomas's last permanent address is given as Wexford.
Jessie died in 1958 while visiting her sister Rita in Canada. Ritas daughter is still alive and living in Minnesota

Are you a relation or an interested party?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic