Search for content in message boards

John Hoffman & Gertrude Bradford of Waterbury, CT

John Hoffman & Gertrude Bradford of Waterbury, CT

Posted: 1518987968000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1518988691000
1920 Census Waterbury, CT lists John Hoffman & Gertrude & two children, James & Virginia, along with John's brother George, age 13. Obit on Gertrude's mother listed her as Mrs. John L Hoffman. Gertrude remarries to Walston Reed and they move to NY, back to Waterbury in the 30s and eventually move to NH. I can find nothing on John L Hoffman so I'm starting to assume he died. I believe they may have married in Torrington, CT. The only thing I can find is 1937 Virginia Hoffman working in Hartford but lives in Winsted, CT. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: John Hoffman & Gertrude Bradford of Waterbury, CT

Posted: 1519127246000
Edited: 1519388725000
From the city directories (see below) found a few things revealing his movements, removed to Rocky Mount, North Carolina in 1923 and ...

This is the only John Hoffman and Gertrude (anything) of the appropriate years in the CT marriage index. CT marriages: JOHN HOFFMAN and GERTRUDE NANCY 1914-01-27 TORRINGTON

Here's the second marriage date. CT marriages: WALSTON REED and GERTRUDE HOFFMAN 1928-10-20 WATERBURY
===========================================
Torrington city directory
HOFFMAN
1914 John L. fireman bds 124 Pearl
1915 John L. fireman bds 124 Pearl
1917 John L. rem to Waterbury
Note: His mother-in-law Caroline Bradford (wid of William T.) was at 124 Pearl from at least 1912 to 1918

Waterbury city directory
HOFFMAN
1919 John L. engineer NYNH&HRR h. 75 S View
1920 John L. engineer NYNH&HRR h. 75 S View
1921 John L. engineer NYNH&HRR h. 75 S View
1922 John h. 237 Piedmont
1923 John rem to Rocky Mount N C
wife appears now
1923 Gertrude Mrs h. 237 Piedmont
1924 Gertrude h. 1007 Baldwin
1925 Gertrude h. 1007 Baldwin
1927 Gertrude Mrs. emp OCo h. 1007 Baldwin
1928 Gertrude N., Mrs h. 55 Johnson

Found this, too. Perhaps he came back and died in Torrington . CT deaths: JOHN HOFFMAN 1926-02-09 TORRINGTON

Attached is WWI Registration, middle name was "Lewis", he was born Bath Beach Brooklyn, NY, Oct 2, 1892
Attachments:

Posted: 1519394828000
It’s really wonderful that you found all this. Just yesterday I found a birth record for son James W Hoffman.
What I didn’t know was what happened to John L. Hoffman until I read this. I didn’t know if he died young or left. I think the John you found that died in 1926 might be him because I can’t find him again.
Thanks so much for finding the marriage record to Reed. They moved to Islip, Suffolk, NY, came back to CT and ended up where I believe Walton was from. 1940 Census, Coos, Lancaster, NH. Today I will try to find more information with the dates you gave me. I will let you know and thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Posted: 1519396201000
If you could find anything on Virginia Hoffman it would help. Born 1918, dau of John L Hoffman & Gertrude Bradford. I have 1937 Virginia M Hoffman, 150 New Park Ave h. Winsted. I believe Gertrude lived in Winsted & took the train to work in Hartford, CT.
I also found a seaman’s certificate for her brother James W Hoffman saying his Mo G lived at Winsted:
James Wilbur Hoffman lived in Aurora, CO.
Raymond Reed of 2nd marriage M2 in VA. Burial Lancaster, NH. Gertrude moved so much it was hard to find her. This one is a challenge ! Thank you.

Posted: 1519478344000
Edited: 1519479417000
I guess you have already seen James' 2005 obituary. Says, among other things, that he was survived by his sister "Virgina HOFFMAN of Nevada". Contacting James' children might clear things up on what exactly happened to Virgina.

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.hoffman/2685/mb.ash...

Posted: 1519485875000
Edited: 1519490867000
It’s terrific what you are finding. I was able to find the marriage notice & the article of the divorce of Gertrude Bradford & John L. Hoffman. She was granted a divorce because she claimed he was drunk all the time and had to keep leaving the house to stay with relatives. See Gertrude’s parents were Carrie Loucks & Wm Bradford of Manhattan NY. She was Carrie Harris and he was a widow with four children, infant died shortly after the marriage so we have a George, Frank, & Ada Florence. I think Gertrude may have gone to them or her sister Mable.
Virginia Hoffman married Leo Canty of Winsted and had daughter Patricia Canty. Virginia remarried three more times according to SS app. I have Virginia May Hoffman that died in Winsted CT 1995.
Can I ask where I can get the indexes to marriages in CT. Do I have to go to the Hartford State Library. James Wilbur Hoffman I believe died in Colorado. I’ll check back with more. Thank you so much. Will read your link.

Posted: 1519495750000
Edited: 1519496278000
You don't need a library card for these two particular indices. CT marriage and death index, you will find them here: https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/az.php?a=c

Attached shows the 1976 demise of Leo E. Canty, gives daughter Patricia's married name, Cafferty, if you don't have it already, and in the Estate notice addresses of his children as of 1976.
Attachments:

Posted: 1519527647000
You are amazing. Poor Leo. What a horrible thing to happen. Thanks to you I now have Patricia Canty’s name. Hopefully I’ll find more on her mother Virginia. Thank you. I will let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic