Search for content in message boards

Curacao records early 1800s

Curacao records early 1800s

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Feb 2012 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: LLOYD, TRANT
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with some family research. He has an ancestor, Richard Bateman Lloyd (who married Elizabeth Trant, widow of a Captain Trant). He shows as being Comptroller in Curacao about 1800, and in his 1822 will, names one of his sons, Richard Augustus Lloyd, "of the Island of Curacao in the West Indies, Planter".

Please, can anyone guide me as to how/where I can check records for Curacao in this time frame?

Many thanks for any help.

Kind regards,
Yvonne

Re: Curacao records early 1800s

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 5:23AM GMT
Hi Yvonne,

You can check the following site:
http://www.genlias.nl/en/search.jsp

When filling in surname = "Lloyd" and region and countries = "Netherlands Antilles" you will find 40 results, among which:
Richard August Lloyd marrying Anna Both Hendriksen on 28-04-1824.
Richard and Anna are the parents of: Willem Adriaan Lloyd, who was born at 17-01-1830.

If you want to look at the certificates, you could try the FamilySerach website (I could not find them yet).

Or you can send me an email (I will visit Curacao in december).

Kind regards,

Matthijs

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 7:55AM GMT
Hello Matthijs,

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply, and the excellent link you sent.

I will let my friend know the details that you've found.

Can I please also ask, would you know where any wills are deposited for the same time frame in Curacao?

Again, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards, Yvonne

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 1:00AM GMT
Yes that is right, Bateman Lloyd was here in Curaçao and as homeaddress was given Castle Lyons, County Cork, Ireland.
Lloyd married her once more and had at least 3 children. I know he was originally buried in the protestant cemetery, but already in the 1870's his grave was given to someone else. One of his sons, Richard Augustus Lloyd was born 23 of October 1805 and baptized lutheran on January 14, 1806.
He got married to a local girl April 28, 1824 and also had 3 children. I only find the death of one daughter in Curaçao. For the sons Christoffel Willem Lloyd, born 1824 and Willem Adriaan L. born 1830, I cannot find a death in Curaçao. If Christoffel Willem died before 1830 there are no civilian records available. Registry starts in 1831.
That's all
Chris

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 1:13AM GMT
Richard Bateman Lloyd and his wife Anna Elizabeth Kock made a last will on April 11, 1814:
she had been married before to a Thomas Trant. Her children from this marriage were Elisabeth Fissimon Trant, widow of Robert Nichelson, in life writer in his majesty's service, Anna Maria Trant married to Johan Payne, lieutenant and Clarissa Trant, widow of .....
The original of this will is in the National Archive in the Netherlands. In Curaçao we can see fiches which are in a very bad state. There are more records of Lloyd in the notary archives of Curaçao, all in the National Archive in The Hague.
Chris

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 9:42AM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2012 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: Trant, Colley, Bateman, Aked, Lloyd, Kock
Hello Chris,

Thank you so very much for your help, and the wonderful details you've found.

I will contact the National Archive in The Hague, and see if I can get a copy of the 1814 will.

Clarissa Elizabeth Trant married Edward Colley, surgeon Royal Navy on 30 October 1811 in Curacao. He died by August 1812, and she re-married to his brother Henry Colley in 1815 in London, UK.

In Richard Bateman Lloyd's 1822 will, he names Maria Elizabeth Aked and her sons Frederick Bateman Lloyd and Ferdinand Charles Lloyd (these children were baptised in London, UK in 1819 and 1822), so I think that Anna Elizabeth Kock, his first wife, must have died between 1814 and 1818, and he remarried to Maria Elizabeth Aked.

Again, very many thanks indeed for your help.

Kind regards,

Yvonne

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 1:37PM GMT
Other documents in The Hague you might consider:
1025/26/May 28, 1808 (the first is the archive inventory number in Old Archief Curaçao notary archive followed by the document number in the volume)
this was originalley in English:
Anna Elisabeth Kock married to Lloyd of Bloempot plantation, late widow and sole executeur of the will and testament of Thomas Trant formerly of Cork, etc. who passed on or around March 29, 1794, she was his widow and had 5 children
Elizabeth Fitzman Trant, otherwise Nicholson, Dominiek Trant, William Trant, Anna Maria Trant and Clara Trant
According to the last will proved in Ireland. etc.etc.

1003/227/May 30, 1800
in English
power-of-attorney by R.B. Lloyd (barrister) for his brother Christopher Lloyd of the city of Dublin, my freehold property purchased from Mrs. Ann Connor in the town of Trabee in the country of Kerry in Ireland, his sisters Elisabeth Ann Lloyd and Dorothea Lloyd of the county of Cork

Good luck in your further search.
What exactly do you want to know? There might be more?
Chris

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2012 12:05PM GMT
Surnames: LLOYD, TRANT
Hello Chris,

These details are absolutely wonderful to receive; you are very kind indeed to help so much.

My friend is particularly interested in why Richard Bateman Lloyd and Anna Elisabeth Kock called their first son Mountifort Stoughton Heyliger Lloyd. I'm now wondering if the name Heyliger is associated with Anna Elisabeth Kock's ancestry. Also, when Richard Bateman Lloyd first arrived in Curacao.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards, Yvonne

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 8:46PM GMT
He might have come with the first occupation of Curaçao by the British in 1800. He is mentioned as barrister and comptroller. I see him for the first time mentioned in 1800 in the notary archives. By then he was already married. It is even possible that the marriage took place in St. Eustatius. Anna Elisabeth Kock was the daughter of Willem Kock and Anna Elisabeth Ellis. The Ellis were early on also in St. Eustatius. But I don't know more about her birthplace nor her death. When I mentioned earlier that there was a grave in the protestant cemetery, it is possible that not Richard Bateman Lloyd was buried there, but rather his wife, because in the 1870's list of the graves I found, it is actually the name of the owner of the grave rather than the deceased who was once buried in the grave. And by the 1870's the grave was already sold to someone else. We know when Trant died, so you have a time pocket. Additionally we learn, that Lloyd had been in St. Eustatius before, because in 1803 we can see a declaration by a Mrs. Catharina Groebe that she had sold the mulatto slave Andreas on July 13, 1798 in St. Eustatius to Lloyd. That is totally according to history, because the British invaded St. Eustatius earlier, on Febr. 3rd 1781 under admiral Rodney. I suggest you search the PRO (Public Record office) Kew Gardens records for Lloyd's appointment with either army or navy?

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 5:12PM GMT
Hello Chris,

What can I say? My friend and I are overwhelmed with the wealth of detail you've found and shared. Your wonderful help and work with this is amazing, and so very generous of you. We are delighted and so grateful to you.

My friend will be visiting Kew in September, and will follow up your suggestions.

I can't say thank you enough.

With my kind regards, Yvonne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic