Search for content in message boards

Minor IVES CT 1914

Minor IVES CT 1914

Posted: 1299017437000
Classification: Query
Surnames: IVES
Im looking for the ancestors for a Minor IVES that lived in Meriden, CT. He was born in October of 1914 and died in July of 1974. He lived on a family farm in South Meriden that was called Diamond Hill Dairy. I'm not sure how many generations the farm goes back from him but I know that it was his father farm(who might also be Minor IVES, I'm not sure).

Anything you know would be helpful!!

Ethan M Ives

Re: Minor IVES CT 1914

Posted: 1299126676000
Edited: 1299137717000
Hello. I see in the July 25, 1974 tractor accident death notice of the "Minor Ives" you mention that he was named "Edward M. Ives" in that notice. It appears that the 1966 obituary below is for his father, Minor Ives, where one of his sons is going by the name, "M. Edward Ives".

Hartford Courant
July 24, 1966; page 36A3
Minor Ives, 82, of 552 Main St. South Meriden, died Friday at Meriden Hospital after a long illness. He was born in South Meriden and was a lifelong resident. Prominent in Grange circles, he was a past master of the Connecticut State Grange. He leaves his wife, Mrs Ethel D. Ives; three sons, Julius D. Ives and M. Edward Ives of South Meriden, and Frank A. Ives of Bennington, Vt.; two daughters, Mrs. Ruth I. Howe of Wallingford and Mrs. Annah I. Cythers of Cheshire; 19 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in the First Baptist Church, Broad St., Meriden, with the Rev, Fred L. Shisser officiating. Burial will be in West Cemetery, Meriden. There are no calling hours.

I can e-mail to you the 1974 death notice of "Edward M. Ives" if you don't already have it.

Re: Minor IVES' mother dies 1960 at 101 years

Posted: 1299133435000
Edited: 1299137586000
Found more, I can e-mail these to you as well if you like.

Hartford Courant
April 12, 1959; page 10D3
100th Birthday Marked today By Mrs. Ives
(a photo of her leads the story)
MERIDEN (Special) - Mrs Julius Ives, Diamond Hill, South Meriden, will observe her 100th birthday Sunday in her customary manner, she said Saturday, by sitting at her window and admiring the landscape as spring takes over. She lived at the same farmhouse, erected by her late husband's father, since her marriage in 1882. Her son, Minor Ives, a former Grange leader, now conducts the farm, one of the few in Meriden which has withstood the encroachment of the home building boom. Besides her son, she has five grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. She is able to read newspapers and also listens to the news on the radio, but her greatest enjoyment since she has been unable to get around, she says, is to sit in the window of her hilltop farm home, and enjoy the view of the mountains to the north and west, and the village of South Meriden below.

Hartford Courant
July 8, 1960; page 4
Meriden - Mrs Julius I. Ives of Diamond Hill Farm, Meriden, died at her home Thursday at the age of 101.

Re: Minor IVES' uncles Almon & Amos obits

Posted: 1299135690000
Edited: 1299137663000
Found 1927 obit of 81 years old grocer Almon J. Ives, says he was born at Diamond Hill farm, and was brother of the late Amos Ives, mayor of Meriden, and brother of Julius I. Ives who presently resides at Diamond Hill. Leaves a daughter Miss Mary Parker Ives of Meriden and a son Edward J. Ives of Wethersfield.

Found 1905 obit of brother Amos Ives, has his bio and political career. Survived by wife and sons, Wilbur B. Ives of Meriden, Cleveland A Ives of Seattle Washington and two brothers, Almon J. and Julius I. Ives, both of Meriden.

Re: Jotham Ives_founder of Diamond Hill Farm_Meriden, CT.

Posted: 1299168138000
Edited: 1299170918000
According to Mrs. Julius I. Ives (Mary) in her 1959 birthday notice, the father of her husband Julius was the one who built the Diamond Hill home she had lived in all of her life. His name can be found in the 1850 census seen below.

There is plenty of census information on this particular family, I'll leave that for you to enjoy finding.

United States Census, 1850
Residence: Meriden, New Haven, Connecticut
Birthplaces: all Connecticut
Household Gender Age
Jotham Ives M 41y
Mary A Ives F 42y
Edward Ives M 13y
Amos Ives M 11y
Betsy M Ives F 9y
Julius J Ives M 8y
Almond J Ives M 5y

Film Number: 3074
Digital GS Number: 4181028
Image Number: 00430
Line Number: 26
Dwelling House Number: 281
Family Number: 340
------------------------
Best match for Jotham's parents:
Connecticut Births and Christenings, 1649-1906
Name: Jotham Ives
Birth Date: 07 Sep 1808
Birthplace: MERIDEN TWP,NEW HAVEN,CONNETICUT
Father's Name: Jesse Ives
Mother's Name: Merilla
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: 7450341
System Origin: Connecticut-ODM
Source Film Number: unknown
Reference Number:

Re: Jotham Ives_founder of Diamond Hill Farm_Meriden, CT.

Posted: 1516229931000
Thank you for all this wonderful info on an Ives farm and it's family. My grandmother Ethel Ives was from Meriden...her dad Edgar Van Buren had left the farm for the brass factory...her granddad Silas Ives had a farm. I am compiling info on the Ives of Meriden. I loved to hear about Diamond Hill Dairy!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic