Search for content in message boards

Easterday

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 1:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Interested in learning the parents of Pearl Easterday, died Jun 1968 according to the Social Security Death Index.

She may be the same Pearl Easterday who is found on the 1920 census in Lewiston, Idaho, on which a brother, Fred L. Thompson is in the same household.

Could she be the daughter of John and Mary (Straley) Thompson of Sullivan County, Missouri? This couple has a daughter Pearl and a son Fred L of the right age, and am trying to confirm.

Thanks to anyone who can help, perhaps an obituary or cemetery record will reveal this information.

Re: Easterday

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Easterday
HI,
In 1910 Pearl, her husband Louis and daughter Susie were living in Hay, Whitman Co., WA.

In 1920 she was living with Mary Susie and John (her children) and brother Fred Thompson in Lewiston, Nez Perce, ID.

In 1930 she was living by herself in Lewiston.

A Pearl I Easterday
Died: 20 June 1968, Clarkston, Asotin Co., WA per death cert #012833.
Source: Washington Death Index 1940-96.

You can request a copy of her obituary from an obituary volunteer at Random Acts Genealogical Kindness.
Go to raogk.org
Click on Washington
Click on A thru J
Scroll down to Asotin Co.

If her parents aren't listed in the obit, you can order a copy of her death cert from Asotin County Clerk, 135 Second Street, PO Box 250, Asotin, WA 9940-9532, 509-243-2060. You can do a Google search and find their web site.

The information on a death certificate is only as good as the person who supplied it. Sometimes it's incorrect or not available if the reporting person doesn't know it.
Successful Searching!

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 2:45AM GMT
Thanks, Judy. I had forgotten about RAGK!

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 6:08AM GMT

A John Easterday, born Sep 8, 1910, died Nov 30, 1976, is buried in the Vineland Cemetery, Clarkston, Asotin Co, WA.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ea...;

The WA Death Index:
Pearl I Easterday, died 20 June 1968 in Clarkston, no Age, Estimated Birth Year, Residence or SSN identified. The lack of data is unusual.

The Social Security Death Index:
Pearl Easterday, born 23 May 1882, died June 1969, SSN 519-03-2684 issued in Idaho before 1951, "last residence" Clarkston, Asotin Co, WA.
The "last residence" on the SSDI is NOT necessarily where a person actually lived. The Social Security Administration calls it simply the "home of record." It is not necessarily where any benefit was paid to the person, survivor, or the lumpsum death benefit (in 1972 was paid to anyone paying burial expenses, family member, funeral home, city/county, attorney). It is sometimes the location where the notification of death was sent to the SSA, sometimes where the lump sum death benefit was sent.

A family tree owned by "dnorman1943" identifies Pearl Thompson, born May 1882 in Missouri, dauther of John R. Thompson and Mary Catherine Straley. Among the children is Fred L. Thompson, born May 1897 in Morris Twp, Sullivan Co, MO. No marriage noted for Pearl.
--The 1900 Census verifies the family and birth month and year of both.

It appears possible they are the same. BUT, I always demand PROOF in crime and genealogy. The obituary "might" identify the name of parents and place of birth. The Death Certificate "might" if the informant (possibly John) knew the names of her parents and place of birth.

The Best source would be Pearl herself. When she applied for her Social Security Number, she completed a form SS-5. It would have her place of birth and names of parents.
To order: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp
A computer extract would be cheaper and would show the same information. But, if she is related and you want her handwriting, the exact image copy might be what you'd like for records.

Ron Bestrom
Tacoma, WA

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 1:49PM GMT
Yes, that is how I came to this query. Previously, it was suggested I contact Random Acts, but unfortunately the only Asotin volunteer has an invalid email address. I'll keep working on this. It's possible someone at the library may do lookups.

Pearl Thompson is not a direct ancestor, rather one member of one extended Thompson family.

Thanks!

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 4:20PM GMT
Also for obits:

The Washington State Library has a free research service, the ask-a-librarian program, where they will look for information in the archives, in this case the newspaper microfilm for an event. They will look up to an hour and send you the results. For an obituary: http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/Obituaries.aspx
Due to staff cuts, economy, mass requests, they are now taking up to six weeks.

Ron Bestrom
Tacoma, WA

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 6:37PM GMT
Thanks for that information! Will follow-up. I can probably use it for other families as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic