Search for content in message boards

New Haven Baseball- Eastern League1900 -1920 Jerry O'Connell, Larry Hannafin

New Haven Baseball- Eastern League1900 -1920 Jerry O'Connell, Larry Hannafin

Posted: 1261313147000
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Connell, Hannafin
I am looking for team photos of the New Haven team in the Eastern League. Jerry O'Connell and Larry Hannafin played around 1900, due to the young age they were called the "pony battery". Team was owned by George Cameron. Jerry went on to coach for the last 12 years , ending around 1920. I would love information or photos.

Re: New Haven Baseball- Eastern League1900 -1920 Jerry O'Connell, Larry Hannafin

Posted: 1316561604000
Surnames: Hannafin
Hi, My grandfather was Larry Hannafin from Norfolk, CT. He played on the New Haven Blues Baseball team in 1901 with Jerry O-Connell (although they listed it as Jerry Connell). He played in the minor leagues for approximately 11 years. Last team he played on was the Portsmouth Truckers out of Virginia. We just discovered a baseball card that came out I think in 1910 on the Mills Cigarette Pack on E-bay today. My older brother is putting a bid on it, as we speak. I have a picture of the 1913 State of Connecticut Baseball Champions, Winsted, CT, but Jerry O-Connor is not in this photo.

Re: New Haven Baseball- Eastern League1900 -1920 Jerry O'Connell, Larry Hannafin

Posted: 1316569776000
Hi! Thanks for the reply. And for the information on your Grandfather. Boy, I hope you get the cigarette card. What a find. I think Jerry and Larry must have been friends, as well as teammates, I think Larry was listed in at least one of Jerry's families obituaries. I still havent found a photo of jerry yet, but will keep looking,

Posted: 1316570440000
it was Thomas hannifin that was mentioned in the obits.

Posted: 1316601440000
Surnames: Hannafin
I know--we couldn't believe my nephew found that card--I was doing more research and see that Jerry O'Connell and my grandfather both resided in Norfolk, CT at one time--at least the St. Mary's Cemetary has O'Connell listed. Your other email mentions Thomas Hannafin (I'm wondering if that might be my great-grandfather), as they are also buried in St. Mary's Cemetary--hard to get any information without obligating yourself to paying out money--I couldn't find any obtituaries--we grew up in our grandparents farmhouse in Norfolk, CT and found lots of love letters from my grandfather to his wife (my grandmother) "Kit" Hannafin in the attic--unfortunately we threw them all away. I have attached a copy of the ballcard--thought you might like to see it (if site allows me to send). Any other info greatly appreciated--I was only 5 or 6 when my grandfather died (which was on Halloween night in 1955).

Posted: 1316612065000
I have been doing quite a bit of genealogy research in Norfolk, and the Jeremiah O'Connells buried in St Mary's are related, but not Jerry the baseball player. He is buried in the family plot in Winsted. Have you checked the Norfolk Historical society? There is a notebook of info on Norfolk residents. It was put together by a lady in the 1930's, she went to all the cemeteries in the area, wrote the inscriptions, and often added details that she found. Sometimes it was the death record number, or who was related to who, nicknames, etc. This is where I found some info on the other Jerry Connells buried there. My contact name for the society is Richard Byrnes. A great resource.
Jerry the baseball player's dad John was a brother to one of the Jerry's in Norfolk.
I dont think the message boards will allow attachments, but i would love to see the card, I will try to find it on ebay.
My tree on Ancestry is public, and I have an article on Jerry, if you are interested, and cant find it, i can email it to you.
teecee3467 is how I am listed in Ancestry, also.

You may be able to find more on Larry's parents or brothers by checking the town hall records, and the baptismal records at the catholic church.
I will keep my eyes open for Hannifin's of Norfolk.
t

Posted: 1316615545000
Thanks for all the info. We grew up and Norfolk, and My brother, who is also Laurence Hannafin (correctly spelling, not Lawrence) and known as Larry still lives there. We know the Byrnes family from when we were growing up--I will pass this info on to my brother Larry--he can actually go to these places. I tried to attach the card, but it wouldn't allow me too. If you would like to give me your email address, I will attach to that and also the picture of when my grandfather won the 1913 State Championship Baseball, after he retired. His oldest son Donald was also born that year--I find all of this so interesting--thanks for answering my emails. Dolores Hannafin Doherty

Posted: 1316615857000
In case you don't want to give me your email address, I went back to check the Item # of the baseball card, which is 310343872142--I guess by brother is still bickering about the price--his last offer was $100--maybe he will go for the $120. I hope so--Dolores Hannafin Doherty

Posted: 1316616754000
Hi Dolores,
I see Laurence and Catherine are on the 1910 census, at Winsted/Winchester, with Donald as a son, Do you have that info? i think I can email it for you to view. My email is teecee_12"at"hotmail.com, if you will send me your info, and watch for my email, so it doesnt land in junk mail ; )
t

Posted: 1316616883000
Yes-I would like to have that info--I will email you the pics I have. Dolores Hannafin Doherty I am DoKen54@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic