Search for content in message boards

Jewish records of Meppel or Hoogeveen info?

Jewish records of Meppel or Hoogeveen info?

evelyn knetsch (View posts)
Posted: 1063841549000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mol, Jans
I believe that my Great Grandfather x6 was possibly a jew. Is there a record that I can check to find out who his parents would be. He was born in Hoogeveen in 1682 and his name was Goosen Jans. There is a possibilty that his father is Jan Seinen Mol who may have been born in Meppel, Drenthe, in around 1660.

Re: Jewish records of Meppel or Hoogeveen info?

Posted: 1071434554000
Hi Evelyn,
(I've written to you before about this family line- It's my family too.)
May I ask why you suspect a Jewish link for Goosen Jans and/or his parents (Jan Seinen Mol and Jantien Faken Booij)?
I find this very interesting, but I've never heard of it before.
Thanks,
Tabitha.

Evelyn Knetsch (View posts)
Posted: 1071869694000
I've met a relative who comes from the line of Gosen Benjamins (born in 1757 and died in 1812 in Hoogeveen, Drenthe Holland.) Gosen is a brother of my Great x 4 Grandfather named Simon Benjamins who was born in 1762 and died in 1845 in Hoogeveen. Apparently this Gosen Benjamins was a Jew. This relative is thinking that the generations before that may have been Jews. Apparently during the second world war the great grandson of Gosen who was also named Gosen was sought out for questioning many times about his Jewish heritage, even though he was no longer a Jew but had changed to a christian. As far as my information is, Gosen, (of 1757), Great Grandfather is Jan Seinen Mol (born in 1660) and apparently this name is a common Jewish name.

Posted: 1072103074000
Very interesting. I'll have to keep this possibility in mind in my research. Thanks!

Posted: 1443776843000
I too, have come across this line of ancestry through my directly related Jewish ancestors.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic