Search for content in message boards

Jacob Uriah Edwards

Jacob Uriah Edwards

Esther Moore (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2003 1:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards, Rowe, Roe, Cox
My ancestor, Jacob Uriah Edwards was said to have shipwrecked off the coast of Hobucken (hoboken) North Carolina in the early 1700's. He married a girl from Beaufort Co. NC and the family stayed in the area for the next 200 years. I am having a difficult time finding information about early shipwreckes in North Carolina.
Does anyone have a site or book I can further my research?

Re: Jacob Uriah Edwards

Posted: 6 Jul 2004 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Barnes, Hawkins
Is this your Uriah Edwards? Do you have the name of your Jacob Uriah Edwards wife?

Typed from photocopy of article in a c1901 Denver newspaper:

FORTUNE FOR DENVER MAN
Share in Many Millions Belong to Barnes

Legacy from the Revolution

Heirs Will Now Receive Property Bequeathed
by Tory Ancestor
and Leased to Trinity Parish, New York

Sixty acres of the Trinity church property in the heart of the business section of New York City is to be turned over to the heirs of a privateersman of Revolutionary times. The nearest heir-alaw is a great grandson, Richard Barnes, 93 years old, now living at 3 Stout street in this city.
The estate descended from Uriah Edwards, who was a ship-builder in New York before the Revolution. When the British occupied the city Edwards built privateers for the king's service which played upon the commerce of the colonies and inflicted heavy losses. By way of reward, the British government deeded to him 300 acres of property on the outskirts of the city. After the revolution Edwards succeeded in saving about sixty acres from confiscation. Then, making a will in which he devised the property to his children, who have moved to Virginia, he took ship for England and was never heard of again. It is supposed that the ship was lost on the voyage.
When the property came into possession of the heirs they promptly leased it a term of ninety-nine years, with an additional twenty-five years for closing the estate.
The time has now come for settlement and the potato patches of colonial times have become the most valuable real estate in America. The property has been assessed at $400,000,000, while its actual worth is said to be nearly $1,000,000,000.
Of all the heirs and nearly 500 have been found to date, none can show a clearer pedigree than Barnes. Elizabeth Edwards, daughter of the old shipbuilder married Elisha Hawkins of Virginia. Their daughter Fannie Hawkins married _______ Barnes of Culpepper County, Virginia, father of the Denver heir.
The family are not ready to say much about the outlook at the present time except that the Trinity church corporation is willing to settle the estate and shows no inclination to carry the matter into the courts. It is thought that in a very short time there will be a definite understanding as to the terms of the settlement.
The members of Richard Barnes' immediate family and his heirs are: William B. Barnes, his eldest son; Mrs. Mattie E. Camplin, J. M. Barnes and Richard W. Barnes Jr. of Denver; L. S. Barnes of Pitkin County; Mrs. Mollie Bantley of Hamburg, Iowa.

Esther (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2004 9:29PM GMT
This may be my ancestor. Family history says he was ship wrecked in NC. But you know how family history gets mixed up over the years.

Thank you for this possible lead. I do know that the Barnes name comes up in the Edwards family line.

Are you related to this person?

Esther

Barbara Lane (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Barnes, Hawkins
Uriah Edwards, the shipbuilder, is my 5xgreat-grandfather through his daughter Elizabeth and Elisha Hawkins.

Barbara

Esther (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2004 7:42PM GMT
The Jacob Uriah Edwards I am looking for supposedly shipwrecked in North Carolina ( Beaufort County area) and stayed there the rest of his life. The idea that your Uriah Edwards was a ship builder leads me to believe we may be talking about the same man. I sure hope so. Can you post any other information or email me privately?

Esther

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Hawkins, Barnes, Head, Spence
Sorry, Esther -- I don't have much more than the newspaper article I posted. Several postings by researchers on RootsWeb state that Uriah Edwards (b. 1714 in Wales) was married to Mildred Head, daughter of Henry Head & Frances Spence.

Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you have any other questions. cznbjl@verizon.net

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 9:09PM GMT
I found another copy of the newspaper article and the ______ Barnes can be changed to William Barnes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic