Search for content in message boards

Pita Family in Cuba/Spain

Pita Family in Cuba/Spain

Posted: 22 Jan 2002 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Pita, Vazquez
I've posted on here before asking for information on my grandfather, Jesus Pita Vasquez. I just came into the knowledge that my grandfather's brother, Manuel Pita, who also immigrated from Abadin, Lugo, Spain to Cuba in the 1890's, may have settled in Cienfuegos and founded a tabacco company called "Pita y Hermanos"

Please let me know if anyone has heard of this company or of my grand-uncle.

Thank you!

Re: Pita Family in Cuba/Spain

Posted: 17 Mar 2002 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Pita, Mederos
My grandmother was Carmen Pita Mederos born 1900 in Bolodron, Matanzas. Her father's name was Ramon Pita. He may have been from La Coruña, Spain. I have another line of the Pita family, too. They are from Bustabad or Las Somozas in La Coruña. This is relatively nearby to Abadin, Lugo. I have seen advertisements in Cuban city directories for the Pita y Hermanos tobacco business.

Marlen LaBianco (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2002 1:54PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: Pita, Vasquez
Hi Mr. Carr,

I'm so honored to have a reply from you. That's such a coincidence on your grandmother since my mother's maiden name was Carmen Pita as well. I know that my grandfather, Jesus Pita Vasquez, had another brother (besides Manuel) but I have not been able to find out what his name was.
Do you know if your relative, Ramon's parents were Manuel Pita Fernandez and Filomena Vasquez Seijo? If they were. then Ramon is definitely related to my grandfather directly. If not perhaps they were distant cousins.

Thank you for the heads up on the city directories with "Pita y Hermanos" listed. I"ll have to look into that.

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Pita
Hello Ms. LaBianco, Thank you for your most kind compliment, but, please, call me Peter. What a coincidence on Carmen Pita!

My Ramon Pita's second surname is either Tucsó or Cresó. I am leaning towards Tucsó. If he had any brothers, I do not know. However, he may have been related to a Luis Pita and another Ramon Pita of Havana alive during the early part of the 20th century. My Ramon married Clara Mederos Perez. His father was Antonio Pita Formoso and his mother was named Magdalena, I believe. This has not been confirmed!!! Antonio had a sister in Havana named Josefa Pita Formoso. So, maybe we have a cousinship, if I may use that word!

Another Pita branch: Also, through my mother's side I have an Antonio Luaces Pita son of Juan Luaces and Maria Pita Fernandez. Antonio married a Benita Paz Fernandez, you guessed it, her mother was surnamed Pita Fernandez (but as in the old days only the second surname was passed on to Benita). These people are all from the Somozas area I mentioned in my previous posting and were alive during most of the 19th century. Let's keep at it and we will make a connection yet!

One correction: the name of the town in Matanzas is Bolondron and not Bolodron. Stay in touch and it is my pleasure trying to help you!

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Pita, Fernandez
Peter,

You may call me Marlen, please :)

Thank you so much for your response and for sharing all of your family information. I do believe we may be onto a connection here, especially with the second set of Pita's in your records. Maria Pita Fernandez could well be related to my great-grandfather Manuel Pita Fernandez. I am awaiting records from Spain so hopefully I will have more to share soon on this.

May I ask where I can see the Cuban city directories you had mentioned with the cigar company Pita y Hermanos? Where they historical in nature?

Thank you again for writing.

Marlen

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 5:17AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 2:57PM GMT
Hello Marlen,

Yes, we may have some connection with the PITA FERNANDEZ. Perhaps when you receive the documents you await, they will shed light on the subject. I hope so. Let me know. I haven't followed that line for a number of years so perhaps we can work on it together. If you have the chance to go the Obispado de Mondoñedo, do so. You can copy name, dates, and places as I did for many lines back into the 16th century.

I amassed the city directories so long ago that I can't remember all the places where I got them. It took me a number of years. They have a few in Madrid at the Biblioteca Nacional. The Library of Congress has some. The National Archives MAY have some. One or two were from Londo. Harvard and Yale Universities have a few. I can't remember getting any from FIU or University of Miami. I had either photocopies or microfilm copies made. I'll see if I can find the Pita y Hermanos ad for you. I'll be on a trip for the next few weeks starting on April 1st, so do be patient.

Thank you for writing, too! Best wishes, Peter

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 4:26PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 2:57PM GMT
Peter,

Thank you for your offer to see if you can find that ad. I'll be happy for anything you can find. Thank you!

Last night I received a letter from the Xulgado de Paz de Abadin. I didn't realize until last night when I was looking through my records that their archives only go as far back as 1878. Yet, someone from the Xulgado must have done some extra research and connected with the Obispado de Mondonedo-Ferrol (which seems to be a catholic
diocese in Galicia).

In any case i got the following on paper from Don Jose Maria Fernandez y Fernandez, Archivero Diocesano del Obispado: "en el libro 4 de bautizados, folio 83, de la parroquia de Moncelos, Jesus Angel, hijo natural de Filomena Bazquez do Seijo en 13 de Octubre, 1870.... baptize solemnemente a un nino que naciera a las 2 de la noche del
dia anterior y al cual puse por nombre Jesus Angel. Es hijo natural de Filomena Bazquez, soltera, y Manuel Pita, tambien soltero, segun este confeso
apresencia de los testigos que abajo subscriven....ella del barrio de Zonan y el del las Veiguinas ambos en esta parroquia. Abuelos paternos: Fernando
Pita, difunto y Manuela Leal, vecinos del barrio de Veiguinas en esta parroquia. Maternos: Jose Bazquez, difunto y Francisca do Seijo, vecinos del barrio de Zonan en esta parroquia. Padrinos la abuela materna Francisca
do Seijo y su hijo Angel Bazquez...advirtiendo que el Manuel Pita reconoce al recien baptizado por su hijo propio."

I'm a little confused and will have to do some research as to where Mondonedo-Ferrol and the parish of Moncelos is in relation to Abadin, Lugo. Also it seems that might relative is not Pita Fernandez after all but instead may have the second last name of Leal. So perhaps our distant relatives may not be related possibly ... we'll see.

I plan to write to the Obispado to obtain further information on the great-grandparents.

I will keep you advised as to what I find out.

Regards,

Marlen

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 2:56PM GMT
Marlen,
The Obispado de Mondoñedo contains the archives for many of the parishes in La Coruña and Lugo provinces that is why your reply came from there. I haven't seen him or spoken to him in over 10 years but Don Jose Maria Fernandez y Fernandez is the Archivist. He is an extremely nice priest, quite busy, but if you always approach with him dignity and try to make your requests as precise as possible, he will normally answer.

So your ancestor were from the parish of Jesus Angel in Moncelos (a small town, I believe), but they did have 'barrios' as you can tell. Also, even though the couple was not married, the father recognized the child as his own, a big step for all concerned. So, since all the grandparents were living (a couple were already deceased) in the same parish, you should be able to get their death/burial records for them.

About the PITA FERNANDEZ surname, right about 1840/50s, sometimes later, surnaming became more standarized. Each person received the first surname from both parents as their surnames. Prior to that it was more complicated. The males received their father's surnames, but the females did not. So, even though the female's surname in your case was LEAL, she may have given her second surname to the daughters, in your case maybe FERNANDEZ. It may sound complicated, but wait until you get to the mid-16th century and then it gets really confusing.

Best wishes,
Peter

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 2:31AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2003 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: Pita, Formosa
My Grandfather arrived in Cuba at the age of thirteen. He was originally from the area of La Coruna, Spain. His parents were Antero Pita Formosa and Maria Juana Pita Formosa. They had four children, my Grandfather Jose Maria Pita, Ramiro, Flora and Atilana. All stayed in Spain except for Jose. I'm looking for any help which can continue my search.

Raul Paredes Pita (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2004 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Pita
My Great grand Fathers name is Jose Pita Founder of the Pita & Hermanos. He was Maried to Bonefilia Isquierdo which had 8 children. One of is my Grandfather which his name was Oscar Pita, married Maria Diaz which had one girl which is my mother Delia Pita de Paredes. I Think they were 7 Brothers and 1 Sister. My Mother Has more information which she has been bringing me up to date about her uncles and aunts lives. They all have passed away. I was to small in Cuba when they all use to gather around and play with me. today I am 49 years old, so as you can see its been along time. I know that Jose Pita left a brother behind in Spain. Some of the Names I remember besides my grandfather were Raul, Chicho, I have the other names but I need to find the paper work where I missed placed it, I dont have much time to do this but i would like for you to try and hook up the families connection. I know my mother has a wealth of information and I 'am trying to make her remember. keep in touch. Raul Juan Paredes Pita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic