Search for content in message boards

NOON family 1820-1860 Sligo-Roscommon

NOON family 1820-1860 Sligo-Roscommon

Posted: 2 Jul 2006 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAVANAUGH, FARLEY, MURRAY, NOON, O'HARA
We are looking for siblings Thomas, Michael (Anna Murrary), Patrick (Mary Cavanaugh), Bridget (James O'Hara), and Cecily Noon (John Farley). We have been told they came to the US (Ohio) from Roscommon, but we always end with a roadblock. With the exception of Cecily and Michael they all arrived separately from Liverpool to New York.

Thomas b April, 1822; Michael b Nov 1823; Bridget b 1828; Cecily b Dec 1830; Patrick b Mar 1833.

We are trying to find their parents and the place they were from. Since many Noon's were from Sligo we are thinking we need to focus there.

They settled near Columbus, Ohio and married O'hara's, Farley's, Cavanaugh's, and Murray's

Most grateful for any help. Thanks.

Re: NOON family 1820-1860 Sligo-Roscommon

EilĂ­s O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 8:44AM GMT
Hello Charlene,

You not only need to know the specific county of origin for your family but also their parents names, the town/townland, civil parish of birth in their county in Ireland and religious denomination.

There are no census records for the 1800s and civil registration didn't start until 1864 (Protestant marriages in 1845). Church registers for the specific town/townland, civil parish of birth are the source for baptismal information. The registers aren't centralised or computerised and their availability as well as how they can be accessed depends on the location as well as the religious denomination.

There are over 2,000 towns/townlands in County Roscommon and nearly 1400 in County Sligo. Here's a map showing where the counties are:
http://philnorf.tripod.com/ireland.htm

So the family's civil and church records in the US would be your source to find the information you need before you begin researching in Ireland.

The emigrants' civil and church marriage and death records, obituaries, cemetery records, tombstones, wills and US naturalisation records are all sources for research.

Their children's civil and church birth, baptism, marriage and death records may include their parents place of birth in Ireland.

Regards.

Eilís O'Hara
Ireland

Charlene (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2006 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: CATON, FARLEY, KAVANAGH, MURRAY, NOON, O'HARA, WELCH
Eilis,

Thank you so very much for responding to my query. We have exhausted the US records. There is nothing that indicates where they came from in Ireland other than what has been handed down by oral history. They said they came from Roscommon and we can verify that with one gg-aunt who was identified as being from Roscommon on a ship manifest. Naturalization, census, church records, death certificates and obituaries simply say Ireland. I guess record keeping was not much better in the US than in Ireland!!!

I have been to Ireland but once and I so hope to get there again. It is a beautiful country and I am proud to claim it as my own. My father and his family always spoke with love and respect for Ireland although the reason this branch of the family came to the US was for diffcult reasons as was the case for many other Irish families. The attachment remained strong.

Other family came from Kilkenney and Laois.

God speed and again thank you for your advice. We will continue to search for that elusive bit of info.

By the way, my gg-aunt that I spoke of---she was married to an O'Hara!!!

Charlene

Eilis O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2006 2:10AM GMT
Hello Charlene,

In the absence of finding any information in the US, you can have the respective Heritage Centres in Ireland try to find records for you. Sligo has one as does Roscommon and you can contact them directly regarding the level of detail they would need to try to do a county-wide records search and the fees involved.

Eilis O'Hara

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: Deehan/Deighan/Cunny/Maye/Meaghy/Loftus
My paternal grandfather Michael Loftus and his brother James went to Leeds England in the late 1890's to be police officers. James stayed on and married Elizabeth Haliday. I was in contact with his grandson James Noon in Leeds but have not heard from him for some time...he may have passed away. If I should hear from him I will try to get you more information about the Noon/Noone line...I do know he mentioned Couny Monaghan as a place some of them were from.
Edward Loftus

Posted: 2 May 2012 1:37PM GMT
I have an Ellen Noon whose mothers maiden name was Rose McLaughlin. I don't know when Ellen was born, but I'd aprx and say around 1880, bssing that on the year her husband was born.
Philip O'donnell dob 1880, immigrated to MA 1897 and married here in MA to Ellen Noon. They may have lived in Everett, So Boston, Jamaica Plain or even Brighton sections of boston. I think Ellen's fathers name may have been Edward.

I wonder for those searching for Noon's in Ohio, if you should expand your US search to other area,s??? Just a thought, since you say you have exhauseted your US searching in Ohio. How can it hurt?

I want to find out who Ellen's sibblings were, where and when Ellen/sibblings were born, dob for parents and where and when parents were married.
If not in Co Sligo, maybe Co Donegal, Co Cork, as most of my Irish ancestors came from those two Counties,

Philip O'Donnell's parents were James O'Donnell and Susan White Doherty both born 1845, m Sacred Heart Church in Cardonagh Co Donegal July 5 1865/66. Besides Philip who was the youngest, they had Patrick 1867, John Nov 21 1868, Neil `1871, Mary Ann July 28 1873(my grandmother), Maggie 1875, Denis 1878. With exception of Patrick and Maggie the others all came to MA, Philip being the last as far as we know.

b
per page

Find a board about a specific topic