Search for content in message boards

can't find myself

can't find myself

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 5:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone else had trouble finding basic information on here? I put in my parents names and my grandparents in my family tree and I cannot even find basic information such as a birth certificate. I search my name (I was born in 1982 in Iowa) and I cannot find any information about myself either. All of the results are for similar names to mine (yet completely different last names) in states 1000s of miles away. It is so frustrating.

Re: can't find myself

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 1:18PM GMT
You can look at Census record
up to l930 in USA, soon to be
published l940 census.
Please post names, dates, and what you
are looking for and what state.

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 4:18PM GMT
Generally speaking you won't find birth certificates or birth records for at least 70 years or so. Most states have restrictions on access, but you will be able to find something on your family. It may be possible to find your grandparents on the 1930 census, depending on when they were born. If any have died, we may be able to find them on the Social Security Death index. City directories are also a possibility.

If you want to post their names and what you know (dates, places, etc) about your grandparents, people are willing to help you get started and show you how to find information on Ancestry.com If you are new to ancestry.com it's worth your time to look at some of the tutorials to get you going.

Joy K

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 4:34PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

As others have said -
1930 is the last available census at this time.

Social security system was computerized abt 1960

most states have restrictions on birth certificate access.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 2:05AM GMT
Thanks for all of the help guys. Maybe my expectations were a little too high :)

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 11:16PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2012 11:45PM GMT
Nick,

You CAN find your parents at ancestry. They are in the US directories -- It doesn't tell you anything you don't know, but they are there. You can also find your grandparents in various records.

Using their names, plus other sources, I found several generations of your tree. My posts were moved to the Summy message board.

Take a look! :)

Also, regarding your message -- information at ancestry.com is here in three ways (mainly) 1) official records that are deemed "public" 2) books/materials no longer copyrighted or 2) "personal" information that folks have submitted re: trees.

If the records about you have not been made public OR no one has written a "public book" re: your family OR if no one has submitted a tree with you in it, you won't find yourself.

In addition, one of the rules of ancestry.com is NOT to publish information on the living in your trees.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic