Search for content in message boards

Laxdal family from Bowsman/Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Laxdal family from Bowsman/Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 6 May 2010 9:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Laxdal, McCotter, Snæbjörnsdóttir, Jónsson, Þorkelsdóttir
I am looking for information on the family of my great grandmother Jörundína Herdis Laxdal. She married my great grandfather George Edward McCotter in 1913 when she was 17 years old.

My father and his siblings all grew up in Bowsman and lived very close to Jörundína & George as well aas her siblings Jóhann (uncle Joe) Kristján Laxdal, Jona Soffia (auntie Fia) Laxdal, and Ólafur (uncle Oli) Laxdal but little is known about her brother Björn (Barney) Laxdal born in 1892 or sister Ingibjörg Thermia (Emma) Laxdal born in 1890.

The following is the information that I have but more on the Laxdal family, particularly their ancestry and what ever happened to Jörundína's two siblings that were left behind in Iceland, is greatly appreciated.

Jörundína Herdis Laxdal
-Birth: 05 Jan 1896 in Laxárdalur at Skógaströnd, Snæfellsnessýsla, Iceland
-Marriage: 02 Apr 1913 to George Edward McCotter, 8 children
-Death: 23 Nov 1986 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Jóhann Kristján Laxdal
-Born: 28 Dec 1889 in Laxárdalur at Skógaströnd, Snæfellsnessýsla, Iceland
-Marriage: 03 Dec 1919 to Anna K Finnsdóttir, 3 children
-Death: 18 Dec 1974 in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Jona Soffia Laxdal
-Born: 23 Mar 1898 in Laxárdalur at Skógaströnd, Snæfellsnessýsla, Iceland
-Marriage: 12 May 1928 to Monroe Brown, 2 children
-Death: 1989 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Ólafur Laxdal
-Born: Apr 1899 in Laxárdalur at Skógaströnd, Snæfellsnessýsla, Iceland
-Marriage: no marriage, no children
-D: 1979 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Finnur Laxdal
-Born: Dec 1860 in Laxárdalur at Skógaströnd, Snæfellsnessýsla, Iceland
-Marriage: date unknown to Herdis Daisy Snæbjörnsdóttir, 6 children
-Death: 1940 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Herdis Daisy Snæbjörnsdóttir
-Born: 02 Apr 1862 in Hraunholt, Kolbeinsstaðahreppur, Iceland
-Marriage: date unknown to Finnur Laxdal, 6 children
-Death: 02 Apr 1927 in Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

I also know that Finnur's parents were Jóhann Jónsson and Ingibjörg Þorkelsdóttir and that they had at least 3 children but nothing else is known of them.

If anyone has any extended information it would greatly appreciated.

Re: Laxdal family from Bowsman/Swan River, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 7 May 2010 5:51PM GMT
Hello There

I have some of that family on my web site
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swanriver/ic...

I have some of their family tree, from Jóhann and Ingibjörg and back, plus i have the book Laxárdalsætt, and have the email for a descendant of Ingibjörg who stayed in Iceland.

Nonni

Posted: 7 May 2010 6:04PM GMT
Hi Nonni,

More on the Laxdal family tree would be really great and I believe one of my cousins, Brian Currie, has been in contact with one of the descendants in Iceland but he was a bit unsure of some details so that email would be really great also. My Aunt Shirley has beenworking on family tree research for years but these days she is too busy so I thought I would try to find out as much as possible I am incredibly interested in going back as far as I can so any information (and photos) is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kala

Posted: 8 May 2010 2:58AM GMT
Hi, could you please send me your email

nonnijonsson at yahoo.ca

thanks

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:31AM GMT
Well, Björn (1891-1969) married Emilía Magdalena Jóhannesdóttir and they had 3 children Finndís (1929-2001, no children), Sigmundur, born 1931, no children) and Hilmar (born 1933, 3 children).

Ingibjörg Kristín (1893-1974) married Torfi Jörgen Hjaltalín Illugason, and they had 12 children (as well as numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and so on). Two of those 12 children died young, other 9 died in 1991-2009, leaving only Guðrún Torfadóttir (b 1918) still alive).

Anyhow, if you need contacts, I can send you the addresses and/or phone numbers of some of the people in question.

Now regarding Finnur Laxdal, he had 7 siblings and 6 half-siblings, while Herdís Snæbjörnsdóttir had 5 siblings.

As for the ancestry of Finnur and Herdís, it is fairly well known, with one notable exception: Herdís was the daughter of Engilráð Guððmundsdóttir, who was the daughter of Guðrún Þprsteinsdóttir, who was the daughter of Þorsteinn Bjarnason and Sigríður Steindórsdóttir. Þorsteinn and Sigríður lived at Miðhús in Snæfellsnes at the time of the 1801 census, but nothing is know of their ancestry.

All the other branches can, however, be traced a long way back, so if you have any specific questions, just ask.

Posted: 10 May 2010 8:36PM GMT
Thanks so much for that info! We had no idea what ever happened to Björn or Ingibjörg.

I don't believe any of us were aware that my great great grandfather Finnur had half siblings either but I found out this morning that his father, Jóhann Jónsson, had 2 wives and Finnur's mother was the second wife. Do you happen to have names and dates for Finnur's half siblings?

We also do not have any information about Herdis' siblings, would you happen to know their names and dates as well?

As far as contacts or other information I'll have to find out from my Aunt if we need any specifics or if she'd like to get in contact with anyone, and if she comes up with more questions I'll post it here at a later date.

Thank you for your help!

Posted: 11 May 2010 9:34AM GMT
First, Finnur had one maternal half-brother. Jóhann, Finnur's father died in 1863, but but in 1866 his mother had a son, Jóhann Jónasson. He married Guðbjörg Valmundardóttir and emigrated in 1887, but I have no idea of what became of them.

Finnur had also 5 half-siblings on his fathers side, His father's first wife was Guðríður Ívarsdóttir (1811-1852). Their children were: Karitas (1832-1834), Þuríður (b.1841, disappears from records - probably died young), Jón (1842-1897, farmer in Stóri-Langidalur, has descendants in Iceland), Krostín (b. 1843, disappears from records - probably died young) and Kristján (1844-1884, has descendants in Iceland)

As for Herdís, her siblings were:

Guðrún Msrgrét, born 1859, married to Jón Daníelsson, one child.

Guðmundur, 1863-1905, married to Halldóra Jónsdóttir, 4 children.

Eyjólfur, 1866-1958, married to Sesselja Pétursdóttir, two children.

Elínveig, born 1868, married to Jón Sigurðsson, no children.

Kristjana, 1875-1933, married to Jón Einarsson, one child.

All the information above is taken from the online 'Islendingabok' database.

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 11:07AM GMT
Hello

my great grandmother was the daughter of Jóhann Jónsson from Laxárdalur on Skógarströnd:
Guðbjörg Jóhannesdóttir (f.08.08.1861 d.26.09.1952)

I have some information about the family in Iceland

Greetings Hafdís

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 6:10PM GMT
Hello Hafdís,

Sorry I took so long to reply, I have been having technical problems with the website! I now have all of the names and dates for everyone in the family tree, I was able to go through the family book and pick them out. Once I read your reply I looked for your great grandmother in my tree and found that she was a sister of my great great grandfather Finnur. I have information on and photos of Finnur, Þorkell, and Guðmundur from their lives here in Canada but we know very little of their lives in Iceland before their immigration in 1901. Whatever you have would be very helpful and very appreciated by myself and my family and I offer the same to you if you would like to know anything. If so, we can exchange email addresses. I can be reached at: kalamccotter@hotmail.com.

-Kala

Posted: 10 May 2011 3:19AM GMT
hi, i,m the granddaughter of the late jona sofia brown, ive been looking for history of them and family when they came to canada. adn how they started in bowsman. i knew your grandmother also.my auntie has alot of information on grandma history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic